Dilated pancreatic duct, is pancreaticojejustonomy possible when this dilates further ?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have chronic pancreatits for 20 years. ( female, age 62 yrs old, and had breastcancer 10 yrs ago) Now the pancreatic duct is dilated till 2 cm . An Eus showed there is an pancreatic stone just after the head of the pancreas, where the tail begins, and a narrowed entrance of the duct (where the fluid comes in the small bowel). I don´t know if the last word is correct English, I am a foreigner. My problem is : an pancreaticojejustonomy is offered, but first they want to do an ERCP, and try to place a stent and remove the stone with it. They tell me it is protocol in my hospital to always try an ERCP first. The doctor that should perform the ERCP tells me he advises me to not let this procedure being done, because it causes usually a strong flare of pancreatitis at least. And he says it is only performed to try to make the pain less worse. But my pain is not very strong, since the moment I started to use Creon. He tells me the story that it doesn´t matter how dilated the pancreatic duct becomes, - and it dilates rapidly... So the situation is, that now nothing is done at all. The surgeons advised the Pancreaticojejunostomy, but first wanted to try an ERCP, and the ercp doctor advises me to not let the ERCP perform, because of the gruesome side effects of this procedure.

I have landed on a moon landscape now, on my own and all possibility to be treated, stopped. Now nothing happens at all.

and I have one big question: how dilated is the duct to be allowed to let the pancreaticojejustonomy be possible. I simply do not believe, this ´´ does not matter´´, like the doctor that performs the ERCP´s told me... Of course it matters. Any suggestions or advice what to do now ?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.