Diphenhydramine and Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I have been taking 30mg Citalopram for quite a while now and it has and does work well for me.

However I have had periods of insomnia recently and asked the chemist whether I could take the one a night Nytol - he said I could.

I have taken Nytol for the past 4 weeks and while it has helped me sleep, I have noticed that I have become very anxious over the last two weeks so have stopped taking it.  I saw my GP today who said that this drug can sometimes interact with anti-depressants - even though I am feeling very anxious she said she didn't want to increase my Citalopram to 40mg and said that these anxious feelings will pass as they are a direct result of mixing these two drugs.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Many thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

I would ask your doctor if their is any sleep aid you can take which won't interfere with your citalopram 

It's miserable when you can't sleep but you certainly have to be careful with combining anything with meds Your doctor will have all the information you need to advise you what is safe. 

i tok some anti histamines once and didn't know that this was not a good think to do and it brought on further anxiety so always check now with a professional

Goog Luck 

viv

• Posted

Hi Vivienne

thanks for your reply - I took the anti histamnes for about 5 weeks and and stopped about 1.5 weeks ago but still feeling anxiety.

• Posted

hi again Sue

Maybe it is going to take a bit more time to readjust.i have only started on citalopram for 3 weeks and did not have these side effects 10 years ago when I took it Perhaps the anti histamines have still affected my reaction to the drug I don't really know for sure I stopped taking antihistamines 3 weeks ago too but it's taking ages for the anxiety to settle I am really bad first thing in the morning so I know how you must be feeling I am seeing my doctor we'd so I will talk to her and get back to you

• Posted

Hi again

i look forward to hearing from you once you've seen the gp xx

• Posted

Hi Sue, just done a quick web search on taking Citalopram and Nytol one-a-night and saw your post. I've been on Citalopram 20-30mg for the past 4 years but lately my anxiety has been terrible, not helped by my 3 daughters under the age of 6 years waking me up every night! I really struggle to get to sleep and to get back to sleep if woken. I had Zopiclone for a week which helped but I've run out and my husband takes Nytol occasionally so we have some in the house. Was thinking I'd try it tonight but slightly concerned reading your post! I'm now having CBT so hoping that will help but we'll see. Anyway I hope you're doing okay. Sending calming thoughts, Emily

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.