Direct Anterior approach

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi

i have heard that the direct anterior approach is apparently the best way to go as it does not involve cutting muscles and there is a less chance of discolatation and is a quicker recovery. is this method done in the uk by the nhs ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I do not think that there a very many NHS surgeons that have been trained in the technique. There does seem to be some risk of nerve damage

• Posted

I had an anterior lateral last December, and I can say that the recovery was quick, painless, and thus far, perfect. I was walking well after ten days, driving after four weeks, and now after ten weeks doing everything for normal living including digging the garden. The operation was carried out by Ramsey Health Care in Banbury and completely funded by the NHS. The waiting time from first interview was just three months, and I certainly have nothing to complain about. I get the impression that more surgeons are now taking the anterior lateral approach - and there is the problem of nerve damage if not done properly but it certainly did not happen to me.

• Posted

Thanks for that but the bad news is I live in Scotland and not sure what is going on up here lol

• Posted

My surgeon out and out refused when I asked him. He said research shows that the posterior is by far the best method. I've had both my replacements done this way. My sister had the anterior approach done privately in the Republic of Ireland and has been left with nerve pain. Her surgeon also did not recommended physio post op. She has had to source this out for herself. Slowly but surely, she is now improving.

• Posted

Billy,

I had the posterior, the surgeon did NOT cut any muscle maybe, in the past but they have moved on and no longer operate that way.

• Posted

hi billy, i had anterior approach last june.... went skiing 7 months later, that probaby answers ur question in terms of recovery.... had no restrictions after surgery either which was supposedly a no no..... couldnt fault the procedure

• Posted

and this wasnt the anterioir lateral either it was full frontal straight down in front of pelvis

• Posted

I wanted anterior approach but my surgeon does direct lateral. It's going well so far but i have heard recovery is easier with anterior. I'm 3 weeks post surgery and driving, walking with one crutch and pretty well pain free. Been on regular Tylenol since day 3. I still wonder how much easier anterior would have been without this annoying 90 degree restriction!!

• Posted

HI ,

That was one of the reasons I want to try anterior as I think the restrictions are a lot less

Glad to hear your recovery is coming along well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.