DIRECTIONS FOR TAKING ALENDRONIC

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was prescribed Alendronic 70mg Tablets, after being diagnosed with ostesporosis, This was found after a bone scan while in hospital fo a fractured spine and crush damage to the base of my spine, I was taking I a week, when a nursinhg friend asked if I had been told not to sit or lay down for at least half an hour - one hour. I had not had this told by my doctor or the hospital, but seemingly by not allowing the tablet to be taken with these instructions, it can cause pretty awfuk stomach problems, Has anyone else heard of this - I do find it very uncomfortable trying to stand and walk about for 30-60 minutes because of my spinal injury. I would like to hear of anyone else who is aware of this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was told to sit upright for 30 minutes and that it was not necessary to stand.

I have had no side effects.

• Posted

Hi there

My mum has been taking this for about 18 months now and she has been told to [u:72267cb146][b:72267cb146]sit upright [/b:72267cb146][/u:72267cb146]for half an hour after taking it and on an empty stomach.

Also found this information for you......

[i:72267cb146]Alendronate should be swallowed whole with a full glass of plain water, while in an upright position. Patients should not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking the tablet to reduce the potential for oesophageal irritation.

The bioavailablility of alendronate is considerably reduced if taken with food. Alendronate should be taken at least 30 minutes before the first food, beverage or medication of the day.[/i:72267cb146]

http://www.keele.ac.uk/schools/pharm/MTRAC/ProductInfo/summaries/A/ALENDRONATEs.html

• Posted

Our own drug information leaflet also says [quote:1dfd460488]Swallow Alendronic Acid tablets whole (not crushed or chewed) with a full glass of water, on an empty stomach (at least 30 minutes before eating breakfast, having any drink other than water, or taking any other medication). Stand or sit upright for at least 30 minutes and do not lie down until after you have eaten breakfast. [/quote:1dfd460488] - see https://patient.info/showdoc/30003234/

My colleague has suggested that we either explain these kind of special instructions more fully on the drug information leaflet or we produce a separate record which explains the various special instructions in a bit more detail. I think the 2nd suggestion is the one more likely to be taken up by our 'drugs' authoring team.

Patient Admin Team

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.