Disability

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, help advice needed please (please forgive spelling mistakes or word displacements but brain does not always work and the word I am trying to say just doesn’t come out of my brain) foggy brain syndrome.

has anyone been given a disabled badge, 

i am in the early stages of Maybe being diagnosed with cfs,at the stage of eliminating everything else,been off work now since August.  I did have flu at big inning of may and couldn’t shift it, I still went to work everyday and ignored the symptoms. But in August one day I could not get out of bed for 3 days straight and it frightened the life out of me.  I am a person that is always on the go, even when I sit down I am making list of what needs doing next and make lists.  So to be hit with this illness has hit me very hard,  headaches, flu like symptoms, aching joints as if I am riddled with arthritis, have 2 good days then bed ridden for 2 not being able to get out.  And the most difficult one to deal with for me is the brain fog. My short term memory is shocking, 

for example, I will be talking and then listen to others talk, I go to make my point and cannot remember what I needed to say, so then I panic and try to consintrate on what I need to say, I miss the entire conversation of the other person and have no idea what they have said. So have given up trying to mix with people.  Thiis is making me panic as I cannot see how I can go back to work and carry on as normal,as people will think I am thick and stupid. That is if I can actually get out of bed to go to work.  I have to park 8 minutes walk away to and from work and don’t think I can walk that far.  I have attempted to to out in my car to the supermarket only to find I have got jelly legs half way through my shopping task and have to sit down to get my strength back before dropping all shopping and going back to my car.  Then this takes about 6 hours to recover.  This illness is making me nervous to go out without being accompanied or only going out wher I know that parking is close and I know exactly what I need and go and come straight back.

i have had 3 holidays booked to go abroad,only to pull out last minute as I am scared of not having the ability to make it from parking the car to getting to the airport to walking all the way through the airport.  And this is only 1 side effect of this disability not mentioning headaches, aching joints,  This does not even address the issue of getting dressed (forget putting on makeup,straightening my hair and getting dressed just to go out. This in itself is such a challenge, I find myself wearing the most easiest thing like pull up trousers, and fleece top to make thing easier)  I feel like I am a 47 year old living in a 90 year old persons body.

has anyone been given a disability blue badge to help them.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

What is a blue badge?  Have you changed any medications?!  Gabapentin has done many of those things to Me. It effects your short term memory and cognitive behavior. Weakens legs muscle. Known for chronic infections etc... just a thought!
    • Posted

A blue badge (disabled parking permit) is what the give you when you drive a car and need to park closer to shops. 
  • Posted

I have only told a close friend in work re my loss of memory whom I trust.  I am afraid of telling management in case the try and get rid of me before my illness is confirmed, which I understand you have to have the symptoms for 6 months and over.  I work for the local government and get 6 nth full pay 6 maths half pay.  I have been working for 17 years with this company and have never used the sickness system so don’t know how long before they try and get rid of someone.  

I am desperate to get back to work as I TrueType love my job, but cannot see how with the way my brain is is not working properly. 

Help and advice please....

• Posted

They cannot get rid of you from work just like that. A friend of mine was working and couldn't go back. The company said they couldn't go back unless on full duty. They had regular meetings with my friend of which i was often present. They have to look at cfs/me as a disability and make adjustments if possible. You have a long history with your employment and hopefully this will be recognised.

• Posted

Hi I was on half pay for six months then half pay . At the end of that year of sick my health had not improved intact was worse than ever. My then consultant said I was not fit to return to work in the foreseeable future and said I was chronically chronic ! Not just chronic. I was certainly very unwell .HR and my ward manager came to my house twice . I was instructed the only thing to do was to take ill health retirement. I was a senior staff nurse at great Ormond street. Had been nursing nearly 20 years . totally devastating. My consultant wrote a fabulous report for NHS pensions and I was given mine a week after sending the forms in..I wasn't even 40 yrs old.

Your management cannot just decide behind your back to get rid of you. It has to be discussed with you. In the end once you know where you are with a possible diagnosis etc, you will have to be up front with them. I tried three times to return to work before I went off sick for that year. I virtually collapsed one-day at work and had to go home.Was diagnosed about two months into it. But had been unwell for nearly a year with infections which gradually led my body into ME as it was called then. It had not been helped by carrying on working. The traveling to and from work . my partner was then diagnosed with type one diabetes. Lots of stress was abounding .

The stress of worrying about your job and the thought of maybe having to give it up is not helping your health issues. It becomes a vicious circle. I understand, but you also need to think about your own preservation . you clearly sound unwell and need to take more care of yourself. Have you thought of doing your shopping online ? It is my only mode of shopping . it would make life much easier for you. I am not saying you should completely give in, but if you don't address your situation soon you may have no choice. The human body is amazing but can only tolerate so much. Take good care and best wishes x

• Posted

Hi Janet 

thanks for this,  my difficulty at the moment is trying to accept my disability,  at first I just slept and thought that would let my body heel.  After 2 weeks I thought I was getting better and started to catch up on some housework, but was the next day I was bed ridden for 2 days recovering from cleaning and just trying to get on top of things.  The following week I was feeling better with more energy and I thought this was a mind over matter issue so went to the gym and hoped to start to rebuild my strength - huge mistake this made me bed ridden for 4 days ( and I only did walking on the treadmill not running, the did some rowing for muscle building very lightly, I felt great) until next 4 days.

i think my biggest issue is acceptance, and having to adjust to this awful disability,  now my brain has become stupid in forgetting things and all I can describe it as brain fog..

• Posted

Sounds like you really knocked yourself off. Indeed try to come to terms with your problems. You don't have to totally accept it. They are not quite the same thing. Come to terms with it and you will be able to focus on things better.

Every aspect of CFS is awfully debilitating in one way or another. Try to take each day at a time. It will only serve to make you even worse and for longer pushing yourself like you describe. Put yourself first as only you control you . Might sound selfish but it is as it is unfortunately. Take care x

• Posted

Hi there,

Am guessing you're in the UK by asking about blue badge. You have to be eligible for personal independence payment (pip) and get the mobility part of it to be able to get a blue badge i believe? You can apply for pip even if you are working.

Re: going abroad and airports, they have wheelchairs you can use but you have to request them so ring the designated airport ahead of time to make sure this is the case.

Beverley

• Posted

I have CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed with the Fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist, after being off work for less than two weeks. The CFS/ME diagnosis came after I’d been off work for 3 months. In my case the symptoms came on gradually with a massive flare up causing my absence from work. I have a Blue Badge which I applied for and got before I was assessed for PIP. I supplied letters from my consultant and GP as well as an occupational health report. I didn’t have to have an assessment for the Blue Badge and got it 3 weeks after my application. I understand that some counties / authorities are stricter than others but I would give it a go, once you have medical evidence to prove you can’t walk more than 50 metres reliably. Re the holidays, if you request assistance, the airport will help you from your arrival right through both the departure and arrivals airports and also help carry your luggage. 
    • Posted

Thankyou, guess it could be different for different counties and didn't think of that.

B

• Posted

Airlines just need to be notified ahead of time and They should help!  Also once on plane make sure to let flight attendant knows too!  They can really help and will make sure You get to where your going!! I hope You feel better soon and I don't think Your job can let You go just like that. You sound like You have a good work relationship there and it's not habitual!!!many prayers for You!

• Posted

I had a blue badge when I was on disability living allowance. I rarely used it as I am housebound. Just used it when my brother took me to my drs.

DLA was changed to PIP a couple of years ago. All on DLA have to apply for it. It is a nightmare process for many of us with CfS/ME. I went to hell and back. Had a home visit assessment by the clowns called atos. A nurse who made half of her report up. Wrote some ridiculous things. It was disgusting .My short term memory is also shot . I have cognitive issues. Stupid woman wrote because I had been a senior staff nurse I had adequate cognition. It has been at that point 19 years since I last worked ! Anyway, the DWP only went by her lies and ignored my own information . I was made out to be making most of my problems up. She ticked I could walk up to 200 metres. The truth is I can barely walk round my house some days. And generally to the end of my driveway is far enough and I usually have to stop at last once. It is just 10 metres long. Needless to say really but I was not given pip.

So I asked for a Mandatory reconsideration. Failed that. So it went to tribunal appeal. I was not up to going so had a paper appeal. Failed that too. I could have gone to the higher tier but I had been humiliated enough.

Just saying that it is not a given definite anyone will be awarded this benefit. It is a cruel and horrible process. I had been on DLA since 1996. My health has deteriorated as the years have gone on. So all my problems plus new ones are much worse than when I first applied back then. But things have drastically changed because the aim is to get people off benefits. And there are targets to meet for both the DWP and assessment companies like atos. They do not care. I know many people with CFS/ME fibro who have gone through and are still going through all the rubbish .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.