Disability

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone applied for disability from social security?Is it difficult to get? I cannot work outside of the home anymore. I will be contacting a social security lawyer to find out specifics about sumitting a claim. I am 56 so it should be easier to get approved since I am past the target age of "55".

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathyohio

55 where do u live? I just applied for SSDI they said it will take 3 years. I am 61 and in California retirement age is 66 1/2 for women.

• Posted

I applied but I wished I had hired a lawyer.  I was denied. They said I was denied because I worked with the condition in the past.  My issue is I had surgery for Menieres but it caused some irreversible complications and 3 Drs have found me total disable.  So I have a lawyer helping me.  She did say it takes from the time I first filed to the end is usually 2 years.  
  • Posted

I have wondered that same thing.  Please keep us posted.  I am only 37, but I have missed days at work and have also had to lay down on the floor at work bc of this damn disease.  Eventually I am afraid they will let me go.  
    • Posted

Hello JGaitan, I can relate to your work issues, I was self-employed at the time Meniere's reared his Rath upon me. I had to close my business due to frequent vertigo attacks, it just wasn't safe for me to do service calls. I have been through the disability process to include administrative Judge Hearing, appeals council hearing and U.S. District court. The Social Security Administration has a list of possible disabling illnesses

its called "the Blue Book" Meniere's Disease is listed as a disabling condition, an applicant has to meet the criteria for this illness to be approved. You can search SSA Bluebook and learn what you need to prove your case. And if you should decide to apply, be sure to list all your ailments that affect your ability to work.

I already know you have anxiety issues, everyone thats lives in fear of the next attack does. 

If you should decide to apply, just remember to not give up, that's what they are counting on  

Bertman 

• Posted

Good Morning Kathy,

I applied for Social Security because of meniere's Disease in 2009 

The Social Security Administration's Blue Book, 

sees meniere's as a possible disabling condition. 

An applicant has to meet the criteria of the Blue Book listing

I was denied in 2009 for the lack of medical diagnosis 

I had no insurance at the time and could not get the proper testing done

After I was on insurance, I was able to get balance testing done 

and a complete ENT workup, and at that time an applicant could have two claims going

So I had a prior claim in 2009, and filed a new claim in 2011, I was approved on the new claim 

in 2011, and benefits started after five months.

the first claim took almost 5 years to settle. The 5 year claim was for my backpay from the date 

of my original application in 2009, under SSA rules two claims are not allowed now, If you apply and are denied

you can appeal your claim. and the waiting process begins, I had to take my original claim all the way to U.S. District Court in order to win my backpay, Yes you are right the cards are in your favor at age 56, But I would recommend to have a good medical history of your ailments to help prove your case. If you do apply, be sure to list all your conditions that affect your ability to work, "its not what illnesses you have that's important, its how your illnesses affect your ability to work" 

Keep us posted, Have a great day!  Bertman 

• Posted

I have applied for disability but it's taking forever they need to recognize it as a debilitating disease because it is so awful don't give up just keep pursuing it and definitely get an attorney take care

• Posted

It is a recognized as a disability.  But, you have to have Vestibular therapy, VNG testing, hearing test that shows hearing loss.   Have exhausted all treatment.  I am going through the process right now.  I was denied my first time around but I applied on my own.  I highly suggest getting a lawyer to help you.  My Neurotologist was shocked I was denied but I missed a lot of information on the application.  Hope this helps. 
    • Posted

Hi Willow, Vestibular therapy was not required in my disability case,

It caused severe nausea and worsened my conditions 

Bertman 

• Posted

Bertman, 

It has just pooped me out, I have my last visit next week.  I am only working with 30% of “good” balance and they are teaching me how to be safe at home.  I fall a lot, so these exercises I do everyday when I feel good to improve it.  I have not seen any change yet but I got some good information on how to prevent falls. 

• Posted

Hello Willow, 

Bless your heart, I know how this balance thing can be

I finally lost all balance control and now I drive a power chair 

This bilateral meniere's is not any fun and so darn unpredictable 

Good luck with your visit next week 

Bertman 

• Posted

im in uk and yes I did get turnt down then Appeal and won iv had md now for three years now I suffer from anxiety attacks too coz of md I don't go out much plus I had an attack last week first one in 6 months I take Betahistine 8mg 6 times a day it helps. hope you get sorted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.