Disability

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have had these same issues since 2011 although i try my hardest to keep going for my family i am going to start thinking long term has anyone filed for disability or knows a disability lawyer California

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have not, but according to my research, it takes a long time. To get permanent disability for a chronic condition, you must first have been deemed unable to work, usually off on short term followed by long term disability from your job, for a period of time. I think it is something like 2 years of not working (either while on disability or from just quitting or being fired because you can't work). I would say that if you are already on short term disability, it can't hurt to talk to an attorney about the future. What I do know, is that if you are currently working- even in extreme pain or dizziness, you will NEVER be considered for permanent disability. if you are in this situation, you need to find a compassionate Dr who will either put you on short term disability to see if you improve, OR place you on partial disability wherein you work part time, and disability payments fill in the gap. This second option can also entail accommodations from your workplace, which may include working from home if feasible for your job. I'm also in Cal, and it's my experience that it's hard to find a Dr who will do those things for this condition. This is where a consult with a disability attorney may be helpful as well- they would know drs who are more willing to put you on disability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.