Disability premium personal independence payment universal credit

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi.

I have been advised that I may be entitled to extra disability premiums because I receive the daily living component of personal independence payment. I also receive universal credit and understand that it does not count for people receiving this. but on the government website it says that a person living on their own and without a carer who receives pip daily living is entitled to the extra disability premiums. has anyone else come across this situation and could anyone shed anymore light on it for me thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sadly I can't give you a definite answer but I'm sure Denise will be able to help when she sees your post, can't hurt to apply for it I wouldn't have thought though they can only say Yea or nay

• Posted

Hi,

You are correct in saying that it doesn't count for people receiving UC and then when you looked on the government website you confused yourself. If you look closely you'll see a list of benefits that this disability premium is paid with and unfortunately UC isn't one of them.

Even though you're living alone and no one receives carers allowance for looking after you i'm afraid you don't qualify for this or any other disability because you're claiming UC.

Only those that are claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income related ESA/JSA and Income support qualify for any of the disability premiums.

• Posted

extremely unfair I think. as I think if someone receives pip it should be added to that or made as a separate payment. it could be classed as discriminating in some respects as someone else is who is receiving the amounts as me but not under "uc" is receiving the disability premium and people like myself are not just because we receive universal credit. it's a bit of a contradiction and it is something I think should be given to claimants whether claiming universal credit or on the old system benefits. thanks denise anyway.

• Posted

No problem. sadly it doesn't work like that, when the UC regulations were done the disability premiums weren't added and never will be.

There argument is that as you never claimed the legacy benefits then you're not missing out on something you never had... not my words by the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.