DISAPPEARING AF?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 55 and was diagnosed 18 months ago with PAF. I'd had palpitations for years on and off so eventually doc put me on heart monitor and next thing I know I've got AF! Consultant put me on bisoprolol which made me feel unwell so came off that. I can count on one hand the episodes I've had this year and each time I go for a check up my pulse is normal. ECG shows no AF. I'm on warfarin but that's all. Can it just disappear?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

These are very dangerous drugs and anything you read should be followed uip very carefylly. The FDA has allowed the reversal agent to be released but with very strict protocols as it too is not 100% safe.

"Reversing the effect of Pradaxa exposes patients to the risk of blood clots and stroke from their underlying disease (such as atrial fibrillation). The Praxbind labeling recommends patients resume their anticoagulant therapy as soon as medically appropriate, as determined by their health care provider."

We cannot be lighthearted about these NOAC's as a lot of people have died from bleeding events caused by the use of them. Check out the law suits on Xarelto and other NOAC's in the USA.

I hate taking them but I have been told you cant really stop as you may have a stroke...not from my Paroxysmal AF but from the drug which somehow or other has changed the way my system works.

• Posted

On eliquis..I was on pradaxa...all are scary thinking of a bleeding incident..I try not to think about it. I once fell and saw what it did..
  • Posted

John is correct...I've had Paroxysmal  AF for 12 years and one of my triggers is certainly food. My Vagal nerve is very sensitive especially if I eat quickly or too much. Also notice that there are other triggers like bending over or getting upset. These are intermittent and dont happen all the time or extending myself physically.

Another interesting point is that about 18 months ago due to an illness I lost a lot of weight, and became quite thin, I did a lot of walking, maybe 8 Kms 5 days a week.

.I did not suffer one bout of AF during that time. I am convinced that being overweight has a huge bearing on AF particlually weight around the gut and ​I think it very important to keep fit

Due to being unwell I have since gained the weight back and am suffering AF again. Am currently on a sensible weight loss plan to get back to where I was and trying to get back to my walking

• Posted

I agree about the weight issue..I never had this belly fat..don't know if age..genetics...all these meds..losing  horones..caused it...
    • Posted

Hi buddah,

Yes you are spot on as far as I am concerned. The day my AF started I had been bending over. !!! It was a winter morning with 10" of snow and I couldn't get to work. I decided to do some household chores one of which was sitting in a chair bent over a shredder and shredding some private papers. This process lasted about 20 minutes or so. Shortly after this I began to feel unwell. Like I thought I was going down with flu. I had a blood pressure monitor and began to take my BP readings. Then for the next 3 hours or so I took regular readings. My BP went ballistic but trended downwards. In those days my average BP was around 136/85 with a heart rate of 88. The downward trend went as low as 90/50 .... that was what I call my Apollo 13 moment .... you know the bit in the movie when Tom Hanks says that immortal line .... 'Houston .... we have a problem' - I rang my GP he checked me out sent me to A & E and thus - within 9 hours of starting to feel ill I had a diagnosis and treatment started. 

I agree about the weight issue too. In those days of the AF start up I was around 98 kgs (about 215 lbs), I now weight around 91 to 94 kgs (200 to 206 lbs) - not much of a weight loss BUT I have lost a great deal of fat around the waist and the gut.

In fact one of the ways my body speaks to me is telling me that I'm light or heavy. So if my gut is feeling 'light' I know all is well, if my lower abdomen feels 'light' I know all is well .... when things start to get 'heavy' I know I'm unwell and check what I'm eating and take action accordingly. If I eat something thats out of order for my gut and I start bloating my gut immediately feels 'heavy'. Great communicator my body then I know almost immediately that whatever I've eaten I leave alone in future.

One of the features of my bus driving job is that I am in the tourist industry and have to handle alot of passengers baggage in and out of the bus, suitcases of at least 15 kgs (33 lbs) if not more - well I can tell you that keeps me fit and trim around the waist too.

John

• Posted

i need to lose around the middle too. spot reduction isnt easy. my doc also told me to sleep in my right side. all the problems start in the left atria and if u side sleep, u r putting extra weight against the heart.
    • Posted

It's a bit sad that we suffer a very annoying and sometimes debiltating and life changing condition and we take a drug that adds more fear to our situation. I have been very resistant to taking drugs (Flecainide and Metropranol) and use only as a PIP. However I was put on the  NOAC by a Cardio who did not explain any of the possible dangers associated with the drug.

Hope all goes well for you smile

• Posted

Yes I too need to sleep on my left side and can bring on a session if I happen to roll to the right side. I have often woken up during the night in full blown AF, I am one of those lucky/unlucky people who knows exactly when my heart kicks in and out.
    • Posted

im also one of the lucky/ unlucky ones who have another symptom. it is rare, but somehow AF triggers an enzyme that kicks in my bladder. i go to the bathroom every 10 minutes until the episode is over.
    • Posted

In respponse to an afib episode the heart produces a chemical called "atrial natriuretic peptide" that makes you pee - a lot.  That chemical lowers the sodium content of the blood and thereby lowers you blood pressure, until symptoms susside. Its a natural protector when problems crop up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.