disc prolapses

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ihave been suffering from disc problems in the L3,L4,L5 region since May.

My GP has been brilliant he referred me urgently to see an orthophedic doctor who after seeing my mri said i needed to see a neurologist has i had nerve root inpringment. My experience with this neurologist was very upsetting he said he wouldn't operate and that my gp should refer me to the pain clinic for epidurial injections. I have since been referred to another hospital to see another neurologist who has sent me for more mri's and will be seeing him on the 6th dec for my results.

I am still having to take Tramadol and arthrotec everyday and diazepam when things are really bad, i was also taking amitripyline but started to have numbness in my hands and arms.

My main concern is that the nerves in my pelvic area i have lost all feeling and my bladder control is zero my bottom is numb as any one else had this problem?

The pain in my legs due to the sciatica is getting easier but the pain at the bottom of my back is getting worse.

I am having phsio but next day i am in worse pain for the next few days so are unable to do the exercises .

My bottom is

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi jaz

i,ve not a lot of experience with the discs in the back as my problems are cervical, but what you say about the numness in your lower back and loss of bladder control i would be inclined to get an emergency appointment with my gp to explain about these symptoms as i was told by my ns that if i had any of these symptoms i was to go straight to the gp as they are \"red flag\" symptoms.

with the ns saying that he wasnt willing to operate well some dont like to operate if the symptoms could possibly be eased with other methods(due to the risks of surgery) i myself am still having (sometimes severe) symptoms 2 yrs after prolapsing my discs, and time has not eased the pain, so i am due to have surgery soon , but as i say they do try and ease the problems with other methods first. hope this is a little help but im sure other people with \"back\" problems can give you more info. gail

• Posted

Hi Joz,

Sorry to hear about your situation. With regards to the physio, My physio ( I had hydrotherapy for about 5 months) she advised that I could be tired and/or sore after the first session and that this was completely normal but I'd be having a word with the physio if this happens after each session....and I also concur with Gail re loss of bladder sensation as this could need to be looked at urgently.

It can be really frustrating in the early months waiting for a treatment plan that means an end to symptoms but you really do need to hang in there....they often take the least invasive route if this is possible as this carries the most risk. The only advice I can give is

1. See your GP ASAP

2. While you're waiting, look after yourself and the things you can take control of ie, diet, keeping as active as you can and when the bad moments are there give yourself permission to do nothing( if this is what helps).

3. Get information from reputable sources...I bought a book called Understanding Back Pain from my local Pharmacy for about £4.99 ( sorry mods if I shouldn't have posted this book title..it's not a plug, I just found it really helpful).

4. I found regular physio made the pain + numbness worse so I had Hydro and this was great.

I had an L5/ S1 discectomy on Nov 1st and the situation for me is much improved..my surgeon had no choice but to remove it due to the size and situation of the prolapse.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my post.

I went to see my phsio today and he now thinks that it will not help and i need an operation.

He also said i should get myself checked by my gp but i know he will only send me to causulty again (been 3 times) to be told that i only need to worry if it's my bowels i have no control over, they don't seem to be that concerned that i have no feeling in my groin area.

I am really anxious about thursday but hopefully they can do something to treat me instead of just masking the pain.

• Posted

hi joz,

i had problems with my water works, i still do!! :wah: but it doesn't bother me so much now, i still get numbness and try as i must cannot go at all although i am bursting, you must express your concerns, my surgeon ordered another urgent mri to look for CAUDA EQUINA COMPRESSION, look it up on patient in the leaflets section!! luckly i didn't have it, but MS instead!!! :cry: at least i know now :D , i have numbness in the saddle area, but any numbness down below warrants further investigation , you should mention it to the ns on thursday!! i have prolapses in my neck and a disc bulge in L4/5! :shock: the mri he done was a T1 sagittal and T2 axial, on both lumber and cervical!! i hope your results come back ok, and it is nothing serious, but if the ns doesn't know he won't look for it, so please tell him k,

take care and keep us informed on how you get on :ok:

:rose:mandy:rose:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.