Discectomy post op swelling

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I am 15 days post op from a discectomy at L4/5. I initially did ok for the first week and when i had my dressing checked on day 7 by the practice nurse said everything was healing fine.

On day 10 I developed a painful swelling above my incision, approximately the size of a small orange.

I attended my GP on day 12 who agreed that I needed to be seen by my neurosurgeon. and whilst waiting for this I attended AE on day 14 due to the pain and swelling. They ruled out any immediate infection and said i was ok to wait to see my neuro on Tuesday.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this after surgery and what or if anything the treatment is.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I can only imagine the pain you have been going through in the lead up to, during and since your operation. I hope so much this painful swelling settles down and that you can get to see neurosurgeon soon and that they can offer some encouraging and reassurance advice and support.

I have been having some back issues too but grateful that I have not thanks to God only needed surgery or anything like that. I just wanted you to know that I empathise as I still have found some times of real lows and depression due to back pain and how horrible and frightening it is.

Praying for God's help for you Julie, I'm believing that He is going to heal you and that you are going to be pain free again and able to feel joyful and liberated, in Jesus' name. Sorry I haven't been able to offer any practical advice really having not experienced what you have been going through in terms of surgery, but hoping that others with some good wisdom and knowledge can come on and post to offer reassurance and help.

Hang in there Julie and I'm believing that you are going to get victory over back pain - thinking of you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.