Discectomy surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due to have a discectomy this week, what should I expect post op? I am so relieved to be getting it done as I can hardley walk and am in constant pain. I work as a community nurse and i have 3 children 17, 11 and 19 months and am really struggling now. Any info would be great, I'm also really nervous.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

Firstly don't worry about it, it's really not that bad, I had my op 2 weeks ago, I'm completely back and leg pain free, I don't have numbness anymore or the pins and needles. I had my staples out last Thursday (after 12 days) and apart from bruising and being a bit swollen still it's all ok :-), you can't lift anything and must take it very easy for a little while.

I feel as though I'm getting my life back.

Good luck, hope it all goes well xx

• Posted

Hi Vicky, everyone will recover differently. Don't expect to wake up pain free- it will take a while. You will have discomfort from the operation but hopefully the nerve pain will be a lot less. There will be internal swelling which could still be on the nerve but will disappear over a couple of weeks. This is my second one, way better than the first 26 years ago. 

As Debbie mentioned do not lift for the first few weeks. 

If you go somewhere after week 1, make a note of any pain / discomfort. Go to the same place after 2 weeks. The recovery seems slow but the difference is immense week by week.

Dont worry too much - this is your step to recovery and we are here to help if you have any questions 

• Posted

Vicky good advice you have been given. My microdisectomy 11 months ago. Took away all my pain it took time to walk straight again i was a little stooped but thats because my core strength needed to be built up which ir

it was. No bendin, lifting and twisting for at least 10 weeks and i found and still find walking brilliant gentle exercise. I went on to have a spinal fusion 12

weeks ago the discectomy was a breeze in comparison. We are here to help dont be afraid x  

• Posted

Cheers all I appreciate the responses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.