Discharge

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can help? I had surgery almost 3 weeks ago but still have a light green smelly discharge. Is this normal? I am off to see my GP this week as my sicknote runs out on Boxing Day so it could be that I need antibiotics but there's so little information out there

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Matron :D

Sounds to me as if you have got a little infection there and a course of antibiotics will be needed .... so best to see your GP before the Christmas Break.

Any discharge that is an any way offensive usually indicates infection.

• Posted

Hi Katie

Thanks for your advice which I accepted because I have suddenly started to feel absolutely rotten! When my GP examined me I did have an infection. The wound had completely broken down and I'm left with a hole where the sutures were. I should have gone to the surgery earlier. I am now on 500mgs Flucloxacillin 4 times a day for a week.

• Posted

Matron,

Sorry to hear you are suffering sad

I had the same problem.... infact 6 days after my op I had to go to see my GP and he gave me 1 weeks worth of antibiotics and 5 days after they finished, was in pain again so had another 2 weeks of antibiotics. I was in tears at times, so this can be 'normal'.

My consultant told me sometimes they don't like to give you antibiotics when the send you home as they want the gland to drain but if you had an abscess/infection in the gland, then infection can start up.

I didn't have sutures as I had it done by laser so it wasn't the wound, it was the gland. I was swollen and in pain. When I went back to see my Consultant he prescibed Instilligel which is an anaesthetic gel you can apply to the area and it is so soothing smile Try to get it from your GP.

BUT..... it's 8 weeks tomorrow since my op and I now feel great, and even went for a run on Saturday morning.

Please take at least another 2 weeks off work, certainly until the infection has gone as that drains you. You WILL feel better soon but in the meantime, please rest and look after yourself! Try not to do too much too soon. It's Christmas, so the perfect time to relax, watch TV, stuff your face with goodies and get well.

I send you a BIG hug and truly hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Thank you so much Laser Lady for all your advive and kind thoughts.

I am starting to feel much better now and return to the GP on Monday.

I will keep you updated.

• Posted

Good luck Matron :D

So pleased you are feeling better!

• Posted

Hello again Katie

Just a quick update. I saw my GP and the nurse today. The wound is \"much cleaner\" but there is still a large hole. They had some discussions as to whether it should be packed but the nurse felt it would be too difficult an area to pack.

I have to return again next Monday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.