Discharged from Hospital

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doc has said I can go home. He told me the blood in my stool is very normal. Today the loo water wasn't blood red as it has been the previous two days. Today there was blood covered fecal matter , but the water wasn't blood red or rather tinted. My toilet paper was however blood red. Again my doc said this is totally normal with a resection. In fact he said it may still be blood in my stool when I see him in two weeks.My questions is this: For those of you that have had a resection did you also have blood in the stool after your resection? My incision cuts are black and blue and it hurts to get out of my bed. The gas they used is killing my shoulders. Apparently this is normal after major surgery. Any advice is appreciated. I'm also beyond exhausted😴😴😴.

Cheers,

Jacob

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacob I'm so glad your getting better. In answer to your questions. I had a tiny amount of blood in my first bowel movement post surgery. I was not black or blue at all. However I did get constipated from the anesthetic and needed to use a glycerin suppository about 3 days after. Also I had very little to normal gas after also. I went grocery shopping 3 days later although slowly. Don't forget Jacob everyone responds differently to surgery and it also depends what kind of condition you and your insides where in pre op. Also surgeons have different techniques and methods etc. Do lots of walking to help expell gas and rebuild your stamina. Could pain killers be making you exhausted?

• Edited

Glad you're doing well Jacob, hang in there, best wishes for a speedy recovery from across the pond in California.

• Posted

Cheers mate! Thank you for your kind wishes. This community has been amazing!

• Edited

My first stool was liquid and bloody. After that they remained liquid but no blood. (I think they were giving me laxative or stool softeners so I wouldn't be constipated and they worked too well). However, I have read that it is not unusual for that to happen, so trust your doctor - although if if continues and especially gets worse, I'd certainly be checking again. That could be contributing to your tiredness. Everyone is different - and if you are extremely tired, then just rest rest rest! Know that it will get better!! And contrary to rest rest rest - also walk walk walk to help with the gas pains. I have also heard that rocking in a rocking chair or recliner helps gas pains. I was blessed not to have that problem, but I know it is very real. Thoughts and prayers as you go through the rough first week.

• Edited

I had a bag for 3 months after my resection, but when i had it reversed there was quite a few bloody stools at first. I didn't have the shoulder gas pain.

• Posted

Thank you all so much. I had no idea how much pain I'd be in for. I figured since they used the robot my pain would be marginal. Well, that was a load of £hte! My abdominal muscles are howling. I have six scar from the Divinci Robot surgery. The ones closest to my junk hurt the most, specifically the two inch cut in the middle right above my privates. That's where they pulled out my worthless sigmoid along with an inch or two of my descending colon. On a good note my colon is super active with gas. My doc said this is very good. He also said the blood is absolutely normal. I'm a cynic so I worry. I'll have to stop that or I'll drive myself mental. I'm glad I got the surgery, but I didn't account for this amount of pain. My doc gave my Norco (opiate narcotic) for my pain. I'll counter that with Miralax. My doc said again the blood is normal as the fecal matter passes over the resection wound. He's a great doc and a total gent so I'll have to start believing him. Side note: I just took two of my pain tablets and feel nothing, I'm assuming I waited to long to take them. Did anyone else's tummy and bowels gurgle after the surgery? Mine at times are really active. My doc also told me to literally not do fck all for two weeks, no lifting anything over 5 lbs, no driving, no itching the incisions, and adhere to a low residue diet. Here's another odd thing that I experienced in hospital, I couldn't take a wee after the surgery. i tried but nothing happened. Apparently this is due to the anesthetic . Thankfully that changed quickly. I was also told women do much better at urinating after catheterization than men do. Has something to do with anatomy 🤔.

I need help with my diet for the next 3 weeks. Advice please. I can't just eat mashed potatoes, waffles, pasta, and pancakes every meal.

Anyway, thank you folk so much for the support !

Best,

Jacob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.