Discomfort after Clean Intermittent Catheterization (CIC) (self)

Posted , 3 users are following.

22 Y male. Having incomplete bladder emptying.

Today, I was trained for Clean Intermittent Catheterization (CIC) (Foley-type), but after I removed the catheter I kept feeling urethral discomfort for around 30 minutes, even though I was already injected Amikacin (antibiotic) which rules out the possibility of any bacterial infection.

Now, when I am trying to urinate without catheter I am feeling urethral discomfort, kind of like a stinging sensation only while urinating (without catheter), which I don't used to feel before. I also got the same discomfort after having cystoscopy. Literally I feel this discomfort everytime for a day or two they put anything in my urethra.

Is it common?

Are there any chances that my urethra will get used to it and I will be able to cath without having this discomfort in the future?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Clean Intermittent Catheter (CIC) is used to empty your bladder and removed immediately afterwards. Foley is an indwelling catheter, which to be left in place for days or weeks. Either case, try smaller size and make sure to have enough lube. It should help. Hank

• Posted

Kanishq,

The first few times you put anything in the urethra it can scratch and bleed, because it has never had anything there before. This can also lead to UTI which antibiotics can usually cure. The scratching may be irritating for a few days but you will probably get over it and be able to cath without problems.

Thomas

• Posted

after 3 days of using it, i think i am now used to it as it is not as much discomfortable as it was first time. i haven't bleed yet. but if you say i can scratch then i think it can also lead to scarring or stricture.

• Posted

Kanishq,

I have not seen or heard of CIC leading to stricture.

Thomas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.