Discomfort and pain with leg cast (first time cast)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, so as title says i have little discomfort with my cast. I got a broken ankle, yesterday was my 7 day check and doctor said that i am lucky and dont need an operation but i got full leg cast and told to “relax” 6-8 weeks. So, i do as i was told, but i got some serious pain, and nobody wants to tell me about it, is it normal, is it not...The Achilles tendon or however its called (english isnt my main language so i am not very good at it) above de heel sometimes hurts as pure hell...i dont feel pain in broken ankle, maybe just little discomfort but that tendon above my heel from times to times know to start hurting like someone is trying to rip my leg off (and i feel that when i am in bed only). Is that normal? And about that what scares me the most is this stupid cast, they gave me full leg cast from my foot to half of my thigh....i wanted a short leg cast below my knee but they just put more cast over old one, so its closed cast now and its heavy as f. And what worryes me the most is that when i need to go in bathroom i am scared that all weight of cast is on my ankle (that is broken) and that the weight of it is just messing that healing process...?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

In my opinion the weight of the cast will not delay your healing process.  A short cast would be easier and more comfortable but there must be a reason it was not used in your case.  The medical office should be able to explain why that is so.  Sometimes you just have to insist they keep you informed and answer all of your questions.   You also need to tell them about your pain and what ever you have tried to end it has not worked.  As I recall my pain seemed worst at night when I was trying to get to sleep.  What do you have to get around?  Crutches?  I also did everything I was told because I hated my cast and wanted out of it.  I healed quickly and was out of the cast after 4 weeks and into a boot.  When do you see your doctor to have a check-up?  Good luck with your recovery as everyone heals differently. 
    • Posted

I thought the same way as you are, i wanted short cast since it would be easyer on my leg to carry when i need shower or toilet but they just putted me in half-cast for the first 7 days, than yesterday on first checkup they again didnt say a single thing, i did complained about pain but they said its normal, and instead of removing that half-cast (becouse they putted it on me when my leg was sore from fracture) they just took more cast and gone on top of the old half cast...now is exactly 8 days from when i got this heavy thing on my leg and i thing that it got little loose, the swelling has gone down and i can feel little free space inside...i have read somewhere that that pain is due to achillies tendom contracts from not using it and therefore is pain, and same as you, i mostly feel this pain late night, when i try to sleep. Yes, i use cruthces but only for going to toilet and back, nothing more, i spend 90% of my day in bed and intend on doing it for the rest of time being in this cast....idk why they putted me in full cast above knee but, hey, its their job, i dont understand...maybe they putted the full leg cast cause i have fracture of bone, but they say that i dont need screws inside, dont need surgerry (i am glad for that).next one is reserved for 24-th of august...its so far away, i think that durring next week i will go to them for change of cast...this is heavy on my ankle, and its too much restricting, and further more i think its bad if cast got loose, i dont wanna to leg heal badly...
  • Posted

I agree with devsmom. I would insist they explain things to you. I experienced all kinds of strange pains. I’m now in a boot at 6 weeks after breaking my fibula at the ankle and I still have weird and random pains.  I believe it’s all normal. You can certainly ask them to recast you if you feel your cast is too lose. I had mine redone because every time I moved it shifted and banged against my break. I will tell you though that when I had my cast removed early in the healing process it hurt like hell. It doesn’t matter how gentle they try to be there is nothing gentle about removing a cast. I wish you the best on your healing.
    • Posted

I have asked them for my pain and they said that it is normal...i dont know if its normal for broken ankle that my heel or achilles tendom hurts like pure hell, but hey i am not a doctor...i dont know if its too loose, i am at 9 days after got in this thing and the swelling has gone down, thats why i feel free space inside cast, and it worries me that my healing would get worse if cast isnt as tight as it should be...i say that because i was lucky that i didnt need operation and didnt got screws inside leg, no stiches no nothing, and now that swelling is little down i am afraid that this little loose can somehow move bone from place where it should be, and oj next checkup they will tell me that i need an op in the end...tho its just my fear for now...i thought they sill change it, since i got cast in two hours after i broke ankle, so it was splint i think you call it that (its just cast on bottom and sides, on top its just bandage)...i thought they will remove it and put normal full cast, but doctor just said to put cast ontop of this old one...
    • Posted

Even with my new cast I had some room in it. My first one was just huge and I could put my whole hand down it! Once I stopped hurting so bad I liked having a little room in there because I could move the non broken parts a little (I’m talking the very smallest of movements but at least it felt like I was doing something).  And it’s important to have a little space. Even though your swelling has gone down, your swelling isn’t over. There will still be moments that it swells up and there is no give in a cast. The feeling of pressure inside the cast when you do swell is incredibly painful so I was glad to have a little room to allow some of it but I’d still be rushing for ice and meds and a high elevation to get the swelling back down ASAP because it hurt so much. As far as the pains that don’t seem to make sense.....I had pain in all sorts of weird places inside my cast that were not in the area of my break. I thought it was crazy and kept asking “but why does it hurt here” but I was assured it was all normal. There’s a lot going on down there around your ankle and in your leg since it’s both trying to heal as well as deal with not being used. 
    • Posted

I know, i like little freedom inside, i can move fingers, but what bothers me is that i can move whole leg inside, its maybe 5mm free space on both sides from my ankle, but when i roll in bed i can feel my leg going on one wall to another...tho its not big gap inside, still i am afraid that it can do something bad to healing process..i have those swelling moments every single time i put my leg down on floor, when i need bathroom, those 30sec-1 minute are something i dont wanna do, but must...becouse of it i spend 95% of my day laying in bed with elevated leg or sitting also with slightly elevated leg (little above my hip, thats what i read somewhere) cant lay all day, it gets annoying. Well nobody assured me that it was normal, i told doctor while i was for this rewrap of cast, he only told me “it is normal” and 0 explanation...i searched google and found that it can be due to muscles not moving, they start contracting and start hurting...but i am only getting pain there on heel and achilles, maybe sometime where is broken, but that pain is nothing compared to pain on heel...
  • Posted

It's been a little over 2 years since my broken bone and the good thing after this amount of time is that I hardly remember those weeks that seemed endless at the time.  You all will get there too.  Good luck and heal well. 

• Posted

I hope so...my days are going so slow i just wanna go outside, walk, work, do something just to pass time, but cant... Thanks
  • Posted

Yep, I know how you feel.  This is the time to learn who are your true friends.  They are the ones that call and visit just to cheer you on during this period.  Or bring food. haha
    • Posted

Hey, sry to ask now, idk if you will see this, but i have one question. Since i broke ankle, and i got full leg cast, can i sleep on tummy now? I have slept on tummy for my whole life, and right now i simply cant sleep on back....some nights i sleep some i dont...now i havent slept at all...my heel hurts probably bc leg is allways on heel for past two weeks, i just wanna relieve some pain and i want good night sleep on tummy just like i used to do my whole life untill now... smile i am just scared if its bad, if it can move bones there, idk...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.