Discomfort / headache in left eye, searching for answers

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new here so I apologize if I run afoul of any norms...

I'm a 23/yo male experiencing frequent discomfort/strain in my left eye, accompanied by a light headache and/or "pulling" or "tightness" sensation in my left temple/eyebrow. The discomfort is fairly unpredictable, though I notice it a lot while driving and while in meetings. It is sometimes, but not always, an issue while looking at a computer screen.

Some background. I believe I have some binocular vision problems, as my eyes have trouble focusing. When looking at an object, I often can slightly see an overlapping "ghost image" to the left of the main image. My left eye is also weaker than my right eye; I very rarely feel any discomfort whatsoever in my right eye. On the whole, both of my eyes, minus the double vision, are quite healthy. My OD is - 1.25 and +1.25, and my OS is -1.25 and +1.25 for single vision glasses. I believe the double vision is uncorrected from when I was young, and that I simply learned to ignore it / forget about it for much of my teenage years.

I recently went to an ophthalmologist, who placed prisms in my glasses in an attempt to correct the double vision. It seems to be doing an OK job, because I don't feel like I have to make as much of an effort to focus my eyes; but the images are still not fully in-line, and I'm still experiencing the eye and head discomfort. That said, I've been wearing the new glasses for only about a week, so I am not sure what to expect.

While the pain and discomfort is not severe, it's the persistence that bothers me most. It makes it hard to focus while reading or doing email at work. Any thoughts on what I could do to relieve my symptoms? Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

When I read an inquiry like yours, I find myself wishing that I was an experienced ophthalmologist able to provide medical guidance. Unfortunately, I'm a patient just here to share my story whenever I might be able to offer help.

My advice would be that you should certainly go back to your ophthalmologist and if possible, seek out a second or even third opinion. The more you know, the better you're chances of finding a solution.

You might be suffering from migraine headaches caused by your eye strain. Does it help to take pain medicines when you get a light headache? Might make sense to make an appointment to see a general practitioner too. I hope there are others in this forum who might be able to help you.Keep us posted!

• Posted

Hello Steven, I too am a patient & can only tell you of my own experience.

Oh to be 23 again! I have symptoms similar to you & have had them since I was about 18, so decades!

Mine was eventually diagnosed as Uveitis. I have had several different diagnoses, uveitis covers a lot! I am now very experienced with my own eye.

I have been prescribed steroid eye drops which help. I use photochromic specs & tinted specs outside.

I have also been prescribed ocular lubricants because my eyes become very dry & screens/driving don't help.

When you use drops, make certain they are preservative free because the preservatives can irritate the eye. Steroid eye drops bring their own problems, cataract is the main thing. But once you have had the cataract removed, it has gone for ever!

https://patient.info/doctor/uveitis-pro

This might help you, it is intended for doctors but you will get the gist even if you don't understand it all.

I hope this helps Steven & good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.