discomfort in abdomen

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering with discomfort all over my abdomen, I have a burning sensation just above my belly button below my breast and my abdomen seems to be distended. I have a feeling of fullness my ribs hurt both sides , I always have a lot of wind. The pain seems to travel around in different areas. The doctor told me I had Ibs         but I don't agree as I thought with IBS you had constipation followed by diahrea , I feel like I have a knot in the middle of my abdomen does anyone have any suggestions?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Accept, believe and trust your doctor’s diagnosis of IBS provided that everything else has been ruled out.  Everyone experiences IBS differently.  Some get diarrhoea only, others will get constipation, but some.will get a mixture of both.  What you describe sounds like IBS.  Pain moving around your abdomen, gas, burning stomach and the knot like feeling all all signs of IBS.  Your doctor should have explained all of this to you.  Once you accept your diagnosis, you will start to feel better; this happened for me.

• Posted

I totally agree with Pippa. Chances are the knot in your stomach is gas - sounds innocuous but it can be extremely painful. I have IBS with diarrhoea, never constipation. Try the Low Fodmap diet, it has helped me enormously. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi have these exact same symptoms and have been suffering for around 9 months now. I have no C or D symptoms .  Dr told me IBS aswell. Some days are better than others but the pain is always there. Hopefully u can accept the diagnosis and stop worrying, that makes a big difference. 
  • Posted

Hi Pollyanna, I think this sounds like IBS completely. ask for a second opinion if you wish that's your choice, you could explain your symptoms to your doctor and they maybe able to alter your medication so it works better. I wish you luck getting the correct diagnosis or medication can be a nightmare, but fight for it and you may get the correct medicine and help for your stomach.

• Posted

Ibs doesn't have to be diarrhea and constipation. You can have both or just one of them. In fact people are usually diagnosed with D or C version. Your symptoms do sound very much like ibs. I too have the burning stomach feeling on occasion . The distended belly , pain and fullness are classic symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.