Discomfort in left chest when swallowing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone else has this symptom of GERD. I also have chest pressure on and off and was having pain under shoulder after eating but omeprazole sorted that out. Having upper endosocopy in a couple of weeks but would love it if someone else had this symptom so I don't feel along! Thanks in advance

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, I get chest pains and pains all around the shoulder area, I got that same medicine you did but i'm afraid to take it because of side effects
    • Posted

I've been taking PPI's for 13 years and omeprazole for about ten years without any side effects. Omeprazole is the only one that I have found to be effective.
    • Posted

Wow, thats great. I know I shouldn't be afraid to take the meds, they would probably help a great deal! I'm jst trying to change my diet right now.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with gastritis. Prescribed omoprozole, lansoprozole and pansoprozole. I had bad side effects with them all. Prescribed ranitidine, side effects with this too. I have pressure in my chest area, mostly just below where my bra fits. Sometimes it feels like I am bruised. 
    • Posted

What are the side effects and are they the same for each of the meds?
    • Posted

Long term side effects of PPIs (Omeprazole):

Bad for bone — and your B12 levels?

By lowering stomach acid levels, PPIs might affect the body’s absorption of calcium, which in turn could lead to osteoporosis and fractures. Researchers found a link between long-term use of PPIs and hip fractures. Their results also suggested that the risk increased the longer people were taking PPIs, which is the kind of dose-response relationship that researchers look for when deciding whether a correlation might indicate a causal relationship. PPIs may also affect vitamin B12 levels because the body can’t absorb the vitamin without stomach acid to uncouple the vitamin from protein in food. Many doctors monitor the B12 levels of their patients taking PPIs.

Time to take a step back

Now that studies are beginning to show that PPIs could — the jury’s out still — cause some problems, it may be a good time to step back and ask whether we’ve been reaching for that PPI bottle too often and too soon. Occasional reflux can be treated effectively with the old-fashioned antacids. Some people find that only certain foods (chocolate, coffee, fatty food) trigger GERD-related heartburn, so they learn to avoid them. A chewing gum habit increases the production of saliva that can soothe an irritated esophagus and wash stomach acid back down into the stomach. And if the problem is nighttime heartburn, elevating the head of the bed can help.

People who need heavy-duty stomach acid suppression should still take a PPI but, working with your doctor, be sure that you’re one of them before getting into a long-term relationship with this medication.

• Posted

Side effects for me with the PPIs were dizziness,  weakness and different pain in my stomach. They gave me more pills to help with the dizziness ! They didn't.  I have been having blood tests for the past 5 months as my WBC has been low. I'm back at docs tomorrow for results of last test. I think this could be another side effect. Will let you know. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I interested in your comment that some pills effect B12 and it's absorption into the body. My white count has been low for 5 months wonder if this could be connected. At docs tomorrow see what they say. I have been off all medication for a month. Just the occasional use of gaviscon. I juice a lot of fruit and veg. I find this helps give my stomach a rest from digesting.
    • Posted

Hi Jayne

i also suffered with fatigue, stomach bloating, feeling like my heart was racing, headaches, abnormal liver function tests which made my GP ask how much alcohol I was drinking, I said I have a hiatus hernia and severe acid reflux how much do you think I can drink! I have since read on the internet that Omeprazole can affect liver function tests and cause anaemia. Whenever I asked my GP if Omeprazole could have been causing any of these problems he said of course not. I had been on Omeprazole for 10 years and thought it was great at first as it seemed to stop the heartburn and acid reflux but what I didn't realise, and nobody told me, was that the damage still continues although you are not aware of it, I could not be without Omeprazole and it was only last year when I went to the GP with all these other issues and asked why I had not been sent for an endoscopy in the 10 years since I had been diagnosed, that he referred me back to the hospital. I had an endoscopy - which showed I now have Barretts Oesophagus, I had a 24 hour pH Manometry test - which showed a Demeester score of 64! I was then referred straight to a surgeon and 3 weeks ago had a Nissen Fundiplication. So far so good, no more Omeprazole and no more heartburn. I wish I had spoken up sooner and had myself checked out, my gp just kept giving me repeat prescriptions. I now have to have an endoscopy every two years to check on my Oesophagus. I am so pleased to be finally free of Omeprazole, I do blame it for my poor quality of life for the past number of years.

• Posted

I too suffered with fatigue.  They just hand out the pills and don't tell you about the side effects. I have been suffering with gastritis for a year. Finally there is light at the end. Dare not be too hopeful as reading this forum shows how quickly it can return. Hoping you continue to improve 
    • Posted

A Doctor I had before moving house was a long term user of Omeprazole from when it first came on the market. Like me he found it to be the only one that was effective.

Footnote: One of the doctors at that practice went into cardiac arrest and died when having an endoscopy as did one of my uncles.

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies but my main questions (I don't think I made it clear) was if anyone else gets this mild slightly burning ... but not really burning, more like a tweek, just to the left of my sternum when I swallow anything whether it be saliva, food or liquid. It's worse in the morning mostly or when I'm having other reflux type symptoms. 
    • Posted

I have a feeling like stitch. That's the only way I can describe it. Mostly on my left side, sometimes on the right.
    • Posted

Sorry Kate, yes I also get a stitch like feeling on the left side, sometimes it comes on suddenly and sharp. No idea what it is.
    • Posted

Sounds like gastritis:

In people who have gastritis symptoms, pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen is the most common symptom.

The pain is usually in the upper central portion of the abdomen (the "pit" of the stomach).

Sometimes gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. The pain seems to "go right straight through."

People often use the terms burning, aching, gnawing, or soreness to describe the pain. Usually, a vague sense of discomfort is present, but the pain may be sharp, stabbing, or cutting.

Other symptoms of gastritis include the following:

Belching: Belching usually either does not relieve the pain or relieves it only briefly.

Nausea and vomiting: The vomit may be clear, green or yellow, blood-streaked, or completely bloody, depending on the severity of the stomach inflammation.

Bloating

Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.