Discomfort in left side just under/next to ribs and unusual heartburn

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 19 year old female and I've had a strange discomfort in my left side just below/next to my ribs. It's been going on for approx 18 months but I usually only get it when I'm sat up, like driving or eating. I have been diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia, chronic gastritis and dyspepsia, but I feel this discomfort is unrelated to the symptoms of reflux I have been having, unless it's pain from the hernia which I don't think is likely. I also have strange heartburn, as soon as I lie flat I get instant relief which is usually the opposite to what most people get, but I don't think it's related to the discomfort only in the way that they both can be relieved by lying down. I'm wondering why my heartburn can only be relieved by lying down(prescription meds or antacids don't even make it go away) and what this discomfort is in my left side. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Make an oppointment with your doctor
    • Posted

I've seen my doctor a lot and a gastroenterologist but still no solid answers really, was wondering if anyone knew through experience or if they had a similar thing

• Posted

That pain, in the left shoulder blade and then under the left breast....is what I had for 3 months. Waking up at 3 in the morning, having to sit up. After 3 months of hospital tests,  heart, liver, kidney, gallbladder,etc. I finally found an internist who cured this.

Take one Tablespoon of MaaloxMax or Mylanta or its generic equivalent.BEFORE each meal. This is trapped gas, It's painful!  You will burp and pass all the wind, and feel relieved.

I now take chewable anti-gas tablets, one or two before a meal. The other products have magnesium which upset my bowels. I hope Simethecone helps you, It can't hurt.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'll definitely  try it! Hopefully it will help me as nothing else has 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.