Discomfort on weight bearing

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 11 weeks post ORIF and been building up to fully weight bearing since i went into the boot 5 weeks ago. Currently using one crutch and boot. Last couple of days had alot of non specific discomfort (rather than pain) on booted foot when I'm mobilising, sometimes radiating up shin. I've not had this before. It's fine when I'm resting and foot looks fine (no more swelling than usual, if anything looking less swollen than it has been). I'm guessing it's more to do with the weight of the boot but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? After a few weeks of making really good progress this has knocked me a bit.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Morning! There is so much going on in there as you start weight bearing, you will have lots of different discomfort for months. Just when you think one pain/ discomfort is gone you will get a new one. All normal but very frustrating. Im 23 weeks and just got a new one last week that knocked me down a bit but im just pushing through!

Keep Pushing!!

Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The discomfort has eased off a bit this afternoon. I've been practicing mobilising this afternoon in just sneakers/trainers and it feels so strange but not painful. Just got to build up my confidence and tolerability now. At least I've stopped worrying my ankle will collapse and screws and plates will start flying out!

• Posted

it's the boot. once the foot come out the boot your ankle will feel better. its never comfortable with the ankle being in the boot. keep listening to your doctor and keep working hard with physical therapy.

• Posted

Hi, we are at about the same point in recovery and ive also been full weight bearing with a crutch,with no issue until i saw my physiotherapist at 10 weeks post ORIF a few days ago who was very keen to wean me out if the boot and weight bear in a shoe, plus lots of exercises to strengthen the ankle. Its proved to be a painful process and my ankle has protested with marked swelling and inflammation needing elevation and ice afterwards, but i was advised it was the only way to go forward with rehab and ive also been referred for a 6 weeks of hydrotherapy physio in a heated pool at my local hospital, which i really hope helps. I have a syndesmotic screw aswell as the other plate and 11 screws for trimalleolar displaced fracture that will likely snap once weightbearing and ive wondered if that is what caused all the swelling and pain, but im told it can be removed later. Im getting a followup with my ortho Dr and more xrays in 5 weeks time.

My physio reassured me that the pain is normal at this stage and to keep stimulating the area with massage and hot and cold compresses to desensitize the nerves which are overfiring after being rested so long, im really trying hard to get back to a semblance of normality, work and want to be able to drive again. What has your physio advised for you and rehab program

going forward?

Lets keep each other posted ok?

kay x

• Posted

HI.

My physiotherapist got me out of the boot and walking with one crutch last week. I'm doing ok, even managed a few steps without the crutch. My ankle is getting quite swollen though so I'm elevating it when I'm sitting down. I'd say discomfort rather than actual pain which seems to differ in it's location and severity . I was told to expect swelling and discomfort but find it hard to get my head round it actually being ok to experience these without there being something wrong. I've been given some stretching exercises to do including ones using resistance band. I've been told to massage the scars in an upward motion to reduce the swelling but I find that hard because I'm feeling the metal work. For me there has been a psyhcological aspect to walking, there were days when I truly thought I would not walk again, those first steps with the boot and without the boot were really hard. I keep telling myself that the worse is behind me .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.