Discomfort Two Weeks After First Colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

So....I had my first-ever colonoscopy just over two weeks ago (standard screening test, not diagnostic)...no issues at all with the prep or the procedure itself, but I'm still feeling a bit "off" from a digestive standpoint. No severe pain, no bleeding, no fever, no abdominal distention....nothing that I think would warrant a trip to the ER, but I am having some abdominal discomfort....feels periodically crampy in a localized area (kind of like a pinching or tightness) and of course I'm convinced that something catastrophic has happened. I did have a very small polyp removed. My appetite is fine, and my bowels are functioning pretty normally. (As a sidebar, i do suffer from fairly significant health anxiety, and have been spending time with Google....a horrible idea, i know)....i called my gastroenterologist last Monday to tell him how i was feeling and he said to not worry, that if anything truly horrible was wrong, i would know it. But of course i'm not convinced. Has anyone else experienced abdominal "not-quite-rightness" after a colonoscopy? Any words of wisdom?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have not yet had one... but have heard from many that feel "off" for awhile after... the prep alone can make you feel "iffy" for awhile... maybe load up on the probiotics for awhile... and I think they sometimes pump air into your colon to see stuff better... that can leave you bloated and gassy...

The major threat is perforation or infection... so watch your poop for blood and call the Doc if you start running a temp. Otherwise, ride it out, you will feel better. 😃

• Posted

I have had 4 or 5 colonoscopies and afterwards i alway felt fine . I had one 2 weeks ago and I have had cramping, sharp abdominal pain, heartburn and nausea ever since. Three days ago I complained to the doctor and he sent me in for x-rays. Later that day I started having chest pains and along with nausea and some pain in my left arm I thought it was probably a good idea to go to the ER and make sure I wasn’t having a heart attack. I wasn’t, it was probably a panic attack worrying about a perforated bowel or something but while I was there they did bloodwork and a CAT scan with dye and couldn’t find anything wrong with me. 路 I'm at a loss They just want to treat the symptoms at this point

• Posted

My first 3 years ago was fine, got a couple of polyps, no sedation. My repeat 3 year checkup last week {6 days) was a bit more uncomfortable, again no sedation but i'm left with a slightly bloated feeling, that doesnt seem to shift. Not phoned back yet but its a little bit worrying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.