discomforts after cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was operated for cataract on 17 th July 2015; i was on Steroid eyedrops for about 4 weeks 4 times in 1st week and gradualyy reduced to i time alternative day for a week;the drops was withdrawn totally 22/8/2015; even now i am having high sensitivity to even slightest sun light / burning sensation;/ tears / foreignbody presence feeling; when these are likey to disappear?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

1) Could be dry eyes.  Suggest go to a chemist abd get some Viscotears or Genteal gel which are types of artificial tears and apply three times a day. 

2) If symptoms continue despite this treatment you might have post operatve inflammation requiring steroid drops and will need to go back to the hospital.  Post-op patients deserve priority so don't be fobbed off.  Phone and explain the situation to the consultants medical secretary or else ring the senior nurse in "eye casualty".

• Posted

Raman,

Geez, i am so sorry!  You wouldn't think after you fix your eyes, and short operation that your eyes would give you so much Trouble..  But it seems to happen More than it doesn't!!   I think that they should tell people that before they do it!!    I am 2 years out, and still have problems with gritty feelings, and can't focus to clear any more.  Maybe i am a rarity though.  I went to another doctor about a  couple weeks ago and she gave me a new prescription for glasses.  I asked her not to look at old ones, but start from scratch.  It is a different prescription than other two, which those two are different too!  I don't know, i am cross eyed and stignatism in left eye, which now looks pretty different since the lense put in that eye.  I hope in the years to come i will look better..  Getting older isn't easy.  She gave me Erythromycin ophth oint 3.5 GM (Bosh and Lomb)  Apply sparingly Both eyes evry night at Bed time plus the 3 times of dry eye treatment during the day..  That helped the first time i used it..  I think i had an infection from the year i waited to see another doctor. and didn't want to go and be another problem for the other doctor again...  New doctor also said i have perfect eyes in there and can see good hopefully with this new prescription, but just haven't gotten them yet.  Gun Shy.  Keep buying glasses.  She also gave me some complete dry eye relief, called OCuSoft retaine MGD.  They are OTC and expensive and in little vials 2 use in each eye.  End up throwing some away, i actually get it in my eye.  It says main ingredient is Mineral Oil.  Seems to help with the burning and gritting after a week.  She said she bet if i used 3 uses of the dry eye stuff, and moist very warm cloth on eyelids and messaged them and then the Erythromycin at night, for 3 weeks religiously it would help me completely, so that is what i am trying now..  2nd day.  I feel a little better, i don't find myself with a problem with my eyes Every day like before.  Hope this protocol helps me too.   But you are new after your surgery.  i would say use the dry eye serum as it says.  But they don't give a very good one though.  I like the one i told you OTC even if expensive, or they have OTC a formula that is thicker and stays on longer.  But can't see as good.  It is called BLINK, in a blue bottle Gotta watch the expiration date and directions.  But this one i have i really like.  Hang in there, i really do believe you will get better, it just sucks to have bad eyes..... we need them so Badly.  It might take a couple months though raman...God Bless!

Kea

• Posted

Those symptoms should be checked out with your doctor ASAP
  • Posted

I just want to say Raman57229, maybe you SHOULD go back to the doctor to be sure, or another Surgeon to see what another one would think for a second opinion, OR the Hospital.....  I wrote to you before, but maybe me telling you my story wasn't the right thing to do!  I don't know exactly what you are experienceing and I Surely Don't Want You to be Worse Off if I Told You to Wait...  Do what You Believe You Should.. Don't Worry what They Would Say!!   Save Your Eyesight!   Do What Your Gut Tells YOU to Do!!   Thank You!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.