Discouraged

Posted , 8 users are following.

Been diagnosed for about a month and a half. Though I believe I had it off and on for many years. I was feeling much more positive and things were improving with steroid and vaseline and emuaid. . (Have also used coconut oil, olive oil, and aloe Vera gel) I got a little more careless with diet and coffee and also got very sweaty and hot on Sunday and oh , yes and stressed. ... Woe is me... Itching (almost on top of that again) and burning are back.

I just needed to dump. Feel pretty sad and discouraged. . Does it get easier? Will I always have to be so very careful with everything I do and eat?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sandra, the prescribed ointment takes many months to really clear it up – it was fully two years for me. I was plenty discouraged in the meantime. Make sure you rinse the sweat off after exercising. And watch the emotional roller-coaster. That's the key, at least for me.
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement. I was gone and didn't shower it off for hours. Another mistake. As you said before.. Live and learn!
  • Posted

You might want to read my other reply to Elizabeth about Desitin. For me, Vaseline is a No-No! Except for clobetasol, I stay clear of ointments! I can't really explain it, but ointments and I are not friends!

for itching, try some ice cubes. Sometimes they interrupt the itch signal! Of course, don't leave them there for long! 😊 I also have a prescription for lidocaine and that also helps.

• Posted

Sweating is a big negative for me and my LS...that's why I use Desitin. It acts as a barrier.
    • Posted

I have used ice cubes in the past and they do help! My first choice isn't vaseline as I heard it clogs your pores. Want to try emu oil. So many seem to have relief with it. See if I can find your post about desitin. Thanks.
  • Posted

I purchase witch hazel...you can get the non-alcohol form of it online. I dillute it with 15% of sterile or purified water and use it as a spray after toileting. Many also use 2 pinches of bicarbonate of soda in 8 oz. of water as a spray.  I then apply a dab of aloe vera gel...especially if I have the itch.  I use a coconut, grapeseed oil concoction a make up and wear it with a pad at night if I'm sore (it will stain...I sometimes add some frankincense oil or tea tree oil to it...just a couple of drops & mix it all up in a small jar)...or a bit of manuka honey (20%) or higher with cotton panties at bedtime if the irritation is bad...It puts me back right in a couple of days.  One woman on these forums says she completely cured herself with the manuka honey treatment.  It is medically know to have great healing powers...even when other methods have failed.

• Posted

That would be the best...there are different grades of it.  The higher the grade the better the healing power.  And if it doesn't work for you...it's delicious...use it on your English muffin. smile
  • Posted

Hi Sandra i have been diagnosed about a year now, had a bad time the last six weeks. What I found really helps are baths at night with some bicarbonate of soda. Just warm and sit in it for about 5 minutes, put on your creams and off to bed. Everytime I use the bathroom I wash with water and bicarbonate of soda and put on coconut oil. I to have been feeling sad and discouraged but you just have to get on with it. Am going to nutritional therapist next week and with some proper quidance i am hoping to get some control over this. 
  • Posted

Sad isn't it - LS never leaves a person alone.  You slack on your routine or circumstances are such that you can't keep it under control or do the precise care it needs and back it comes in 'full color'.   A person always needs to be on the alert at all times.  But how does one do that - all the time????

Last week we were in such a hot spot, I could no longer bare it and the LS started to protest the circumstances I was in.  I got into the travel trailer, opened all windows, took off all my clothes and laid down, legs apart.  For a couple of days I had to use the glob after that.  When we were in cooler country all turned out for the better again. Another time I covered the area with a kind of heavy cream and dared to cool off in the for the eye clean looking lake.  It was either one or the other.  

Such is the life of a person with LS and over time I more or less have accepted it.  But still dreaming that one day this special care is no longer needed.  All I can say is: Dream with me for a cure.

• Posted

I'm with you in wishing for a cure! would be wonderful! Thanks for sharing those tips.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.