Discouraged

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had an anterior robotic THR on 12/28/15.  I am so discouraged at this point.  If I walk my entire leg swells.  Last night I sat without my leg elevated for 2 hours, today I do not have an ankle my foot is so swollen.  I still have that familar pain in the groin area from pre-surgery and during my exam this week my hip "popped" as it has for years.  My dr says this will all take time but I am very afraid.  My surgery took place at the Mayo Clinic...they do not prescribe Physio post op for Anterior Robotic, is this the norm? 

I read stories online on how you can be gardening 3 weeks post op and golfing by week 6.  I can barely walk around my house between the hip and femur pain, knee pain (im assuming from the screws for the robot) and the swelling throughout my leg.  Is this normal?  Am I being a baby?  I guess from everything I read pre-op I expected so much more from this "less invasive" approach. 

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry about your problems, nm, and it sounds to me like they are worse than most of us have at that same date after surgery. I googled "Robot-assisted surgery" and came up with a very good article about it on wikipedia. It is actually computer assisted surgery, and the surgeon uses various methods to control the instruments. It's supposed to make for less soft tissue trauma, but that doesn't sound like what happened in your case. Possibly that time you tripped really did hurt you.

I would be worried about that swollen foot and swollen leg at this point. Are you still using walking aids? I hope so. So are you barely able to walk even using aids? If so, and your doctor is still insisting that you are fine, then could you go for a second opinion with a different orthopedist? Someone in a different practice or medical group. It might be worth it just for peace of mind, if all is ok. Or they might find something wrong.

Are you manageing the 4 year old all on your own? Are you driving? I can't imagine caring for a young child in recovery, so I am wondering if you are doing too much? So many questions...

• Posted

Thank you!  Yes i saw stars when I tripped.  He said a torn hip capsule can be very painful.  My thigh is very swollen as well as my foot.  I'venever had knee pain up until now.  Its weak and pained.  My mom helped us for the 1st 3 weeks, my hubby has been amazing.  I use one crutch at home to get around.  I have driven twice for a quick trip to get my daughter from school.  Holding the brake was very painful.  I am dreading getting the other hip done and I am hesitant about goint the robotic route again. 
  • Posted

Hi NM ,

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of Hippies where personal stories and experiences are shared .

So, you actually had 4 incisions? one in front , 2 at knees and one in pelvic...

I am trying to picture this - 

I don't know enough (nothing, really) about Anterior Robotic Hip surgery - 

Just what I just read and no, it doesn;t look that you have the outcome as described ... 

Swelling is normal unless it is painful, red and hot ... 

Are you on blood thinning meds or is that not necessary either?   

And please, rule number 1: Do not compare yourself to others -

You are definitely not a baby ( don't allow anyone make you feel that way !!!!) and to be honest, I would have it checked - X-ray, scan,MRI or whatever to make sure everything , the hardware, is in the right place and secured ! 

be gentle with yourself - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee.  I had a set of xrays last week and everything was in place. I had a team of drs take a peek at me at Mayo.  They felt I tore the hip capsule and ripped the stiches.  No redness and its not hot at all.  Just swollen and my thigh literally hurts to touch.  The car seats hurts as they roll up and "touch" my leg. 

I have two roughly 1/2 inch incisions side by side right above my knee and about 1 inch incision in my lower stomach right at my pelvis on the opposite side of the replacement (right was replaced stomach incision is on the left).  They were achors for the robot. I knew I'd have incisions at my knee but no one told me about the pelvis until I woke up.  I've been on asprin and naproxen since the surgery.  I was on another to stop unwanted bone growth (cant remember the name) but I have finished that one.  Thanks for the support! 

• Posted

What you describe does not sound normal to me. I'd be bugging the heck out of the surgeon/doctor for appointments/assessments. And I hope you can get lots of help watching your 4 year-old!
    • Posted

Thank you!  He felt as if the trip/tear set me back.  The swelling is a worry though.  You can see the difference in my thigh due to the swelling right through my pants.  My 4 year old loves to help and loves anything medical related.  She can tell you the path of oxygen, about bones and ligaments, the brain.  She is a sponge.  I worked with dialysis patients for 16 years so I teach her things when she asks.  She tells the drs the names of all of their instruments...her dr says we should have her on the Harvard pre-pay plan lol  She has taken this quite well.  She is adopted from China and we are in the process of bringing home a sister from China.  I need the other hip replaced as well.  This experience has shown me I need to do it before bringning her home.
    • Posted

Your daughter sounds like a treasure! And how wonderful that you want to bring home another girl. So when can you get that swelling looked at? Soon, I hope. Take good care...
  • Posted

You must seek a second opinion.  You are not being a baby.  My first RTHR was done with the anterior method, but not robotic and it was absolutely perfect!  Was doing everything normally within five weeks.  It was amazing.  My LTHR was done three months later but it was a nightmare and after a year and a half of excruciating pain, I went for a second opinion at Vanderbilt, Nashville, TN and had a successful revision.  The device had come loose and was migrating and twisting.  My original surgeon seemed to be unable to find the reason for my pain and in one of his notes in my record, he was leaning towards the idea that I was making it up.  Which seems impossible since I had just had a successful THR three months prior.

However, you mentioned Robotic.  I have seen commercials on TV addressing those who have suffered due to the robotic procedure and there are class action law suits going on.  You might want to research in that direction also.  

But for now, you need a second opinion.  Do not delay as I did!  It took me a year and a half of pure hell before I found this site where people helped me have the courage to seek a second opinion.  I know that the Mayo Clinic is fantastic, but an anterior approach should never hurt this much.  Something is wrong!

Take care and let us know what you find out.

Dawn, USA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.