Discouraged

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, people...although many of you have been very helpful and supportive, you've just about talked me out having surgery and dealing with the deformity and discomfort If I am going to be worse than I was before, why bother?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had bunion and hammer toe surgery on both feet 18 months ago and I am delighted to have had it done. I hated my painful and deformed feet and I have no regrets whatsoever. Please don't listen to all the horror stories. Find a good doctor and do it. The first 3 months Its hard then it gets easier. I walk for 1.5 hours a day everyday, I run and I can wear pretty high heals with no problems. I just turned 60 so I am no spring chicken. The more you leave it the harder it will become.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!  I have an excellent doctor who is very qualified. He's also tall, dark, and handsome. LOL I normally heal very well. I'm no spring chicken either at 67, but figure it will just be more difficult if I wait. I would be nice not to have my toes curl all over each other. I probably should have waited until I felt better to write that. I'm sick now with Bronchitis and my little 8 month old twin great neices have pneumonia. I'm terrified for them! Prayers and healing thoughts please! I guess I'm just discouraged period. Like anything, there are always horror stories. Thanks, again, for the encouragement.

• Posted

Well, discouraged...I think you will soon find that you have no choice. I now understand why my dr looked at me with a sad face and said, "I'm sorry you have to go through this."  At least I learned how to cuss. 

• Posted

Thanks, Patricia. Eventually I will have no choice, as you said, and waiting will just prolong the agony. Just a discouraging time period. I appreciate your encouragment. I'm going to be fine, right?

• Posted

I'm 67 too. Been 31/2 mos since surgery. I can wear loose fitting closed in shoes now without much pain. Still hurts at night. I take benedryl to sleep. No more prescription pain med. when you decide to have surgery buy 2 or 3 house shoes at least 1 size larger than you normally wear. That's all you will be able to wear because of swelling after the boot comes off. 

• Posted

Glad your dr is good looking. That helps.  I gave mine tickets to a show. He likes me. 
  • Posted

I hope your are feeling better and those little babies get well. As you know from others it's not easy at the beginning and for me 2016 has the year of the Bunions. But I am so so glad I went through it. I can walk miles pain free now with my grand babies, just swelling which I know will get better all the time. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thank you, Fiona. I talked with my sister today and one of the babies is off oxygen and breathing on her own but her sister's condition is the same. I'm afraid it will be a somber Christmas for us this year. I think my foot is trying to tell me something. The bunion ached all night long, reminding me why I considered surgery in the first place. Again, I appreciate your support.

• Posted

thought i'd better update this as pertaining to my little 8 month old nieces. One is home although still sick and the other in still in hopsital with a feeding tube but she's of the ventilator and breathing on her own now. The parents are exhausted but at least the little ones are on the road to recovery. It was been very scary!

• Posted

That is very good news..a very merry Christmas and best wishes to you and your family X 
    • Posted

Thank you, Fiona! She may still be in hospital but at least be better! Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! <3

• Posted

I definitely would not have it unless your experiencing daily pain. Mine so far looks good, but I've determined my right foot with a Bunion is liveable! I'm almost 3 months out, but the recovery is painstakingly long and I cannot do it again. If you ask me in Six months I may be stating it was well worth it right now at my stage I am unsure.

• Posted

I was the same as you at 12 weeks with the 1st foot. I was dreading the 2nd foot and felt ill at the thought of it. I had it done 9 months after. It actually was not as bad. I think I knew what was coming so it wasn't such a shock. The pain was as bad, however with the 1st foot I was so shocked how painful the recovery was my hair started to fall out!! It hasn't been so bad this time round. I'm on week 14 recovery with 2nd foot and I'm almost at the point where it is a distant memory. Bonus...I am almost walking pain free 😊

• Posted

Thank you for the input. I may in the end do the other foot, but hard to think about it right now. I agree I was so dumbfounded by the pain with this procedure I was taken aback, but now I can be better prepared and know what to do expect.

Glad to know there are others out there that had similar experiences, thnx!

• Posted

Has your hair grown back yet?  It's been 31/2 mos since my surgery and a lot of my hair has fallen out. My foot doing ok. Now I'm more concerned about my hair.  I'm taking vitamins for my hair but can't tell anything yet.  

• Posted

Yes it grew back. I learnt it can happen when the body experiences a severe shock..And boy was the pain a shock. I just used to wake up and my pillow looked like someone had cut my hair while I was asleep. Hopefully as you recover so will your hair. It did not happened with the 2nd foot operation as I knew what was coming!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.