Discouraged

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had 2nd Mona Lisa treatment about 3 weeks ago. I felt better after about a week but feeling crappy for about a week now. Burning in the vagina and feeling like I have to pee. Off and on. Worse at night. I was actually feeling good all day then around 5pm today felt like I had a tooth ache down there. And I just feel so discouraged. Doctor said I could discontinue the Vagifem with 2nd treatment but wonder if that was correct thing to do. Since I am feeling pain again. I actually thought I was getting better but it just ramped up againsad I also was on antibiotics so wondering if that might be the cause. Any thoughts?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Jean,sorry you are having such difficulty. I had a lot of itching & burning after the 1st treatment, which lasted about a week, but the 2nd & 3rd were much easier. Did you have the burning & pain before treatments? I did not, just one UTI after another, urgency & dryness. Are you using a large amount of Aquaphor all over the area. What is Vagifem? Have you been tested for UTI or yeast infection? Are you seeing a urologist? I have great faith in mine & she helped me a great deal when I was so miserable the first time. She prescribed Lidocaine to use over the area for the discomfort along with the aquaphor. I also took Norco for the pain for a  few days. It doesn't sound to me like your doc is being very helpful. I wouldn't think that antibiotics would cause pain. Something else is going on, maybe a second opinion is in order?

• Posted

Oh Jean

I am so sorry to hear that you are having this discomfort with the Mona Lisa.  I hope others will reply to you with advice. Are you taking the antibiotics for the treatment?

Have you called your doctor for help?  I am on the Vagifem...it definetly helps the discomfort.  Maybe keep on it until treatments are done.....with your doctors okay that is.

do other ladies still have to use the Vagifem even after Mona Lisa treatments?

wendy

• Posted

Hi, the antibiotics were for a dental issue. The  idea is that the Mona Lisa replaces the Vagifem. That they aren't  necessary anymore. I'm curious if the other ladies who have had the Mona Lisa discontnued the vagifem. I have had the same discomfort for 2 years. Sometimes I think it is getting better. But then I just had a bad week  and got very "discouraged."

• Posted

Hi Jean

Were you on the Vagifem for 2 years and still had discomfort?  If so how many times a week did you use the Vagifem.  Yes I would hope that the Mona Lisa would work so women do not have to use the Vagifem.  I hope for you that this is just a slight set back and you will be feeling normal real soon.  Is your doctor a GYN or urologist that does the ML treatments?

have a good night! Feel better!

Wendy

• Posted

Jean I've heard if you have a yeast infection it can cause problems if you have a mona lisa treatment. Just wondering if maybe you had an increase in yeast that you were not aware of at the time of your treatment caused by the antibiotics you were taking for your dental work?

• Posted

I was on Vagifem for about a year and a half. I think it did help because the UTIs stopped. Plus, I was feeling a bit better in the vagina, but still having alot of discomfort which made me a candidate for ML. I see both, GYN and a urologist. The Urologist does the ML treatment.
  • Posted

Jean, I am so sorry youare having trouble. I think the suggestions here make sense; it might be yeast from the antibiotics.

It could also be that it was premature to stop the vagifem; it won't hurt you to go back on it and see.

Good luck

Kkay

• Posted

Hi Jean have you had any reaction to the Vagifem as I have had nodules under the armpits which is one of the listed side affects so have had to discontinue the treatment after three weeks and resort to natural remedies felt ok for the last month sometimes due get a twinge as if it's still there though so not convinced my problems are over but obviously can't resort back to vagifem I also got the nodules in the calf of my legs not heard anyone else mention this though take care!

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear this. I am debating having the Mona Lisa because of symptoms that are just like a urinary tract infection (except they never go away). It is definitely atrophy that is getting worse. So I have just about decided to do it. I love my doctor and trust him, have been seeing him for almost 20 years.....and he did my sub-cervical hysterectomy. I am a breast cancer survivor and thought there was no hope of being "normal" down there again. I really hope this is a temporary set back for you! If you feel up to it please let us know how things go, and I hope very much that you feel better soon! These symptoms are the pits! 

• Posted

Hi, today is a good daysmile No symptoms at all. Go figure! My third ML treatment is on April 20. I do think, overall, I am doing better than I was a year ago. I haven't had an actual UTI in over a year. Amost feel I jinx myself when I say that. But I have had bouts where I feel I'm getting one. discomfort and urgency. Somebody on this site mentioned Herpes, which I have. So I'm going to try adding Lysine to my vitamin intake. I already take Valtrex. I also have discomfort in my vagina, like a burning, or like tear. I have had that for a year and a half, comes and goes. Perhaps, as some have said on this site that it was the antibiotics that caused the latest flare up. That sounds plausible. Today, okay, so far... It can be hour by hour. But also, overall, better than a year ago. But when I get the feeling whether it's in the urinary tract or the vagina, that discomfort, I get very down. Perhaps thinking it's worse than it actually is. But this condition has taken over. I can't take a pee without being nervous. Is it back? Can it get it all out? Perhaps I'll never feel like I did 2 years ago. That the new normal is some discomfort time to time.

?Whether or not to do the ML. I think, yes. Not sure there are any side effects that I'm aware of. So what do you have to lose? Except of course the financial component, which is substantial.

?Caution with ML and who performs the procedure.  Make sure your doctor has lots of experience doing the procedure. Don't be one of the first. As I was. And it was with a doctor that I trusted and had been seeing for awhile. But the procedure was new to the office. After the first treatment which was very painful, I switched to a doctor who had plenty of experience. And I had no pain during the procedure. Also, check with doctor before procedure that he/she uses a numbing agent prior to procedure, if outer layers are being done. I think if they say no, my opinion, but you should go to another doctor. Unless, there is a reason, that I don't know of. I liken it to having a cavity filled with the novacaine. Perhaps a small cavity doesn't need it. But substantial atrophy, outer layers, I think it is necessary. Hope this makes sensesmile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.