Discovery????

Posted , 3 users are following.

Here goes! Brief history. Tried 5 mg of lexapro about 2 years ago for anxiety/mild depression.Was too much for me, very sensitive to anti depressants/bi-polar. Reduced to 2.5, I was told this is so nominal of a dose, useless. So, after several months of 2.5, I stopped. Emotions were crazy, I would cry thinking about good things or at the drop of a hat. started back on 2.5, the emotional thing went back to controlable. Heres the possible discovery. For the longest, time, not sure if this started w lexapro, but after 7-8 hours if sleep, i would wake w nervous stomach. I Could not figure out why? My life is good, I'm retired early, all is well. I always tell my wife something is driving this morning thing and I don't think it's me! So, I thought perhaps increasing the lexapro to 5mg might help. 4 days into the increase, my morning thing is twice as bad. Yes, I will be going down to 2.5. Here is my thought! When I level back out, should i discontinue the lexapro all together and tough out the lack of emotion regulation, hoping it will level out after a while. My shrink of 20 years suggested, months ago that it stop but when I told him about the emotional thing he said do what you want. Thought please? I REALIZE NONE OF YOU ARE DR's Just wanna hear your thoughts thank you! .

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Tom,

Nervousness in the morning is textbook as this is when cortisol kicks in which releases adrenaline to wake you up. A slight overproduction of this would cause nervousness. If you are not anxious about anything whatsoever, it could be the drugs, in which case you need to trial a period without them to see if it clears up - but can you distinguish this from the other symptoms you get when you stop?

Alternative is to try 1.25gm, but you will need to use titration methods to get this dose. Or, you could try something like beta blockers to reduce the adrenaline.

Matt

• Posted

Matt, you seem to be experienced in this stuff... I have a good friend that swears that taking paxil "as needed" works great for him... greatly reduces his anxiety quickly... and he only takes it every couple of weeks, depending on his anxiety... sometimes every couple of days...

I have not tried taking the Lexapro in this manner... but I did notice I felt GREAT the first day I took 5mg... after 6 days the anxiety side effect kicked in and I stopped... thinking about trying it again, with Xanax or clonazepam to fight the anxiety... but so many here have had BIG anxiety problems with Lexapro for months... I don't want that... I was on Celexa for years, never had a anxiety side effect... maybe I should try that one again instead of the Lex?? Any other SSRI that works better?

Appreciate any advice and I'd love to know the title of that anxiety book that has been discussed here... PM me? Thx!

• Posted

Hi 3Archbay, without wanting to speak against your friend, it is simply impossible for them to work (as directed) on an as-needed basis. That is not to say that something entirely different isn't occurring when he takes them as we still do not fully understand how SSRI's work, but most confronted with that anecdote would say that your friend is simply demonstrating a placebo effect. SSRI's work by blocking the reuptake of serotonin, which requires time of continuous dosing to take effect. It is simply impossible for this to occur when taking as and when. But if it works for him, then who am I to tell him otherwise. Benzos cure my wife's depression (for a couple of hours at a time), but they do nothing for me in that respect - neither are they marketed to do so - but this is the effect that they have. However, I would state outright that your friend is very much in the minority for this effect to occur so I would strongly advise against trying this for yourself. A normal reaction to such dosing would be 2-3 days of potential dizziness, headaches and other unwanted effects - almost like a mini-withdrawal.

People often report a "honeymoon" period after first taking an AD which is soon followed by the inevitable side effects. If order to establish whether the meds will work for you, at least 8-12 weeks needs to be dedicated to the cause. Anything less and you have not achieved the necessary levels as spoken of above. Brain chemistry takes a long time to get right on these meds. If you want an immediate relief then you need to opt for the, er, plant-based paraphernalia!

Lexapro is meant to be a "cleaner" version of Celexa, but in my experience, it is a totally different drug. To say it will be better is like saying a BMW is a better version of an Audi. You can't compare just because they might come off the same production line. Each and every person is different. I for one reacted well to Celexa, but all hell broke loose when I went on Lexapro....

• Posted

Thank you. I think I may be similar... I was doing pretty well on Celexa... just got tired of the sort of "reduced existence" sort of feeling... low libido for sure... though it hasn't been much better when off... and I still have moderate anxiety/depression... so will probably try again... the Lex seemed to hit me harder (after 6 days) than the Celexa ever did... so I'll probably ask Doc to send in a script... have you ever gone off and gotten back on and did you get good results?

I have been off it for years... I have plenty of Xanax to deal with any anxiety side effects, but read where you thought Klonipin was less dangerous in terms of addiction/withdrawal... so will ask for a script for that too...

Note: I have been diagnosed with PTSD from 20+ years ago... have not dated since then... not interested in much of anything... I think that means depression, yes?

BTW: I am a long time "plant-based" guy... small amount nightly... it is the only time I actually feel pretty darn good... and even with some libido! I think it will be OK with the Celexa... yes? I'd HATE to give it up...

• Posted

I went off Citalopram 2 years ago with a 2 week taper (as suggested by my idiot of a doctor), then had a relapse. I was back on them within 6 weeks and I have never really recovered properly since. Last August, I then went through Sertraline, Cymbalta, Lexapro and Pregabalin - all of which gave me problems, so here I am back on the Citalopram.

I also have PTSD from around 14 years ago, and yes not being interested in much is a sure sign of depression, and I also have my plant once a night to keep me sane!! Anything like that is fine with an AD in moderation, and the thought of giving it up is just not worth thinking about!! Some days it just gets me through my day!!

• Posted

My PTSD started '97... I tried several AD's... in fact, an AD (Serzone, I think) was responsible for my major meltdown in '97 that resulted in PTSD and I've never been the same since... the cure? Docs say more ADs! So many people seem to have negative effects from SSRIs... or is it only the bad experiences seem to get posted, while success stories don't bother?

Have you considered trying an old school AD like Elavil (Amitriotyline)?? Gets more good reviews than any other AD I have researched... yes, you need to be more careful of interactions... but maybe worth a go... I am considering... but my depression and anxiety are relatively mild... just enough to screw up any joy to living... so not wild about bringing on more anxiety... even for a couple of months...

I don't plan on giving up the plant anytime soon. 😉

• Posted

Just had a look at Elavil and wow... there are some seriously good reviews out there - specifically mentioning the fact that it was the last people took after trying a whole host of other AD's. Sounds like our situation! I'm sure there are those out there that will be better, but it is a game of roulette at the end of it all. No-one really knows what will work, why it will work and so on. It is sheer luck for the most part, but the crap we have to go through to find that is just too much. Do I accept where I am at the moment which is the best I have been for 12 months but still having stress problems? I don't know. Spending my life trying to find a cure seems so empty and such a waste... but I am quite sure that people post good and bad alike. I for one thought it is more the negative that get posted because people are so angry about meds. All the positive ones are off enjoying life somewhere!!

I am with you on the plant stuff. I just had my dose after a truly horrible stressful day. 2 valiums, 3 dramamines and only just started taking the edge off. No depression or anxiety at all today - just pure and downright horrible stress. Hate these days... but my plant has really ironed out all the nightmare of the day. Very chilled and relaxed. Best medicene ever!! LOL

• Posted

Well... after taking the Lex 5mg for only 6 days... I now have noticeably worse depression. Left a message for my PCP... he recommended I go onto Zoloft!

I think he knows nothing about anxiety and depression but throws drugs around... frustrating!Yes, roulette!

Wow... 2 Valiums, 3 Dramamines seems like a lot... why not get on the Klonipin or Ativan... are they not a little more "safe" than valium? I find good old Bebedryl works great for anxiety... the old Chlortrimeton/chlorpheniramine... works, but for me, far too well... it nearly knocked me out... alarming... but maybe you would have success with it?I read long term use of Bebedryl can cause dementia... and I think it is banned for people on old school ADs... something to know if you try Elavil...

I can relate to your struggle... I have not been feeling really BAD... just not good... minor depression and always feel a little tense... that's why I decided to try again with an AD... another failure, and as I mentioned, i think my anxiety syndrome ORIGINATED with an AD, Serzone! I should just forget about SSRIs all together... they mess with me... even the previous 2 years on Celexa were nothing to brag about...

I wonder if known name-brand legal CBD oil would work for you? Many say it is great for anxiety/stress... No surprise, I do not react well to CBD (damn!)... not sure why... I tried puffing a high-CBD strain a year or two ago and it gave me the weirdest, worst experience puffing the plant ever... HarleyTzu... or some such... the legal oil didn't treat me well either... of course I never stopped puffing, so maybe too much? Doubtful...

Yes, the plant is boss for our problems... but I only puff an hour or two before bed... I don't think daytime puffing would be wise... I'd just sit around...

I think I'd better give in and see a shrink... maybe they would at least know more about AD drugs, and get some talk therapy as well... who knows, my issues go back 40 years... jeeze...

I am seriously considering Elavil... we'll see... wish YOU would go first... Deal???

😉

• Posted

I replied... but the reply is being "moderated"... let me know if they delete it... not sure why they would... I posted no links... thanks!

• Posted

Takes them over 5 hours? Hmmmmm... odd.

Not sure what I posted that is controversial...

Anyways... I am probably going to see a shrink... have not done that for ages... most psychiatrists back then talked to you for 10 minutes then whipped out a prescription pad and put you on an AD... no yak yak... so who knows... but my primary care, although good guy, knows little about mental health issues... told him about problems with side effects from Lex... so he left a message for me to go on Zoloft... jeeze.

I will bring up Elavil when/if I speak to a shrink.. it will be a clinic... so I do not have high hopes...

I posted before... 2 valiums, 3 dramamines seems to be a LOT... isn't Klonapin or even Ativan safer? And I find Benedryl to be effective...

Probably will not see anyone until October... my insurance is cheapo...

Well hope this one gets through... and that you feel better fast... wish I had advice... some homeopathic stuff takes the edge off... but is too mild for bad attacks... bach's Flower 'Star of Bethlehem' is worth a try...

• Posted

Your reply finally came through, so is obviously ok. I have thought about Klonopin or similar rather than valium as I really do not like taking it, but it does reduce my seizures when they occur, and painfully enough, they have come back this week due to stress. It is very bad in the mornings at the moment - VERY bad. I don't fully understand it because it clears up after about 5 hours and I can get on with the day. But before then I cannot do anything - I am in a state whereby I cannot face anything, not even emails or forums etc. It all just seems too much stress. It is so odd. Something chemical for sure.. just another thing that has now sprung up from out of nowhere to take me by surprise.

I wouldn't bank on a p-doc knowing any more than another, or a PCP about the drugs. I saw one last year who made a massive mess up with my Cymbalta. I put in a complaint about it being medical malpractise and he was fired (I forget if I already told you that), but worth it for other on the forum to know that he confiscated my supply during my withdrawal to "prevent" my seizures, even though in section 5.7 of the PIL is clearly states that should siezures occur during withdrawal, thus acknowledging that they DO - the last stable dose MUST be reinstated... why? Because if you don't.. you end up having seizures for the rest of your damn life like I am?! If I were in a better mindset, I would consider a liable case against them for this. But so difficult to prove...

• Posted

Jeeze... didn't know you had seizures... that is really tough... I have a pal on lamictal for mood elavation... but the reviews on its seizure control are mixed... as are all meds for that, seems like... I had not realized Benzos are used to prevent seizures... both Valium and Klonapin get good reviews for that...

Sure sounds like you have a chem imbalance or deficiency... wonder if your Doc can order REALLY in-depth blood tests for all minerals, vitamins and anything else that could represent a problem... thyroid? maybe a full MRI?? I know neither of us like contrast... a brain MRI doesn't use it... I think...

I found another site for reviews on Elavil... about half were lousy... jeeze... not sure what to do... btw, spoke with my Docs asst... left a message about my anxiety on Lexapro... and asked what Doc thought about Elavil... he immediately sent in a script for Elavil and told me to ALSO take the Lexapro... hmmmmm... I think that might actually be dangerous... so I'll wait until I see a MD shrink... see what's what... I only have mild to moderate depression and low-level anxiety... more everyday tenseness... but both take the zest out of life... I fear the meds might make things worse... for a long time... my Doc seems to be the kind that just throws drugs at a problem and hope something will work... I probably will dump him... good guy... but he might have to go...

No, you didn't tell me about the roach that held back your drugs... I think liable is not the word... but you should do a free consult with a lawyer, when you feel up to it... you can maybe write out the info when you can... when complete, take it in... lawyers love medical damage cases and will likely take on contingency... also... if the Doc was fired for what he did to you... the organization he worked for will have a detailed record of that termination... that can be subpoenaed... might be enough to cause them to offer a settlement fast. Might be hard to prove he confiscated your drugs... but it might be spelled out in THEIR records...

I sent an email to my cousin who has had seizures for many years... see what is working for him...

• Posted

Cousin is on Dilantin seems to work for him... reviews mixed...

(400 mg of Phenytoin sod. Daily (4 - 100mg)

• Posted

How ya doing, Matt?

Hope you are feeling better and not having the anxiety attacks... have not heard from you for awhile... ???

• Posted

Had a bad few days of stress courtesy of the mental health service - just coming out the other side now thank goodness. Yesterday culminated in a five-hour anxiety attack. It was awful. Was taking valium like candy... Still - hope to never be repeated... I will learn by it and move on.

• Posted

Thought it might have been something like that... very sorry you are going through that stuff... anxiety attacks are about the worst thing I can think of...

Any possibility that your adrenal system is FUBAR'd? Other hormone issues? How about trying Elavil... or some other AD? Your Celexa does not seem to be effective enough... eh? Ever try good old Prozac?

MY Doc wants me to take BOTH Elavil and Lexapro... maybe with your serious anxiety issues... you should try Elavil AND a SSRI?

Jeeze... I go in for some mental health stuff next week... first is a "intake"... then they give me an appointment... probably BS... but maybe the guy can help clarify some concerns like antidepressants, etc... I am not super hopeful... but will try. I want to ask him if my benign tumor on my adrenal gland might be messing me up...

Sure hope you feel better, fast!

• Posted

Thanks man... I am feeling much better. It is almost like it just had to come out all at once. But it is stress-related anxiety, meaning you take away the stress and the anxiety goes with it. It is not your usual place where you can't go into a crowded shop or something like that - I have, for the most part, got over that. This is more a case that I simply cannot take the day - everything just seems too much. I'm not even sure I know what will happen if I did reach the point - it is like you are going insane or something. Regular anxiety is usually a precursor to panic, but what I have never has panic at the end, it is a seizure. This is why valium is of very little use. The only thing I know that helps is my special leaf! Works miracles I can tell you!

You will have to let me know about this appointment, but don't make any decisions on the spot. You need to get the information and really mull it over. I have to say that Elavil does look like a good bet. I had never heard of it before you mentioned it the other day. And Prozac has always been a classic. I particularly like the longer half life which is good for withdrawal when it comes round. But for now, I am done switching. I spent a year chopping and changing and it really messed me up and I am only just coming out the other side of it all.

• Posted

I probably asked... but have you tried daily CBD oil? And you did say you were on an anti-seizure med? Cousin is on Dilantin... an old but tested med... seems to work for him OK, but he likes to drink a lot of booze sometimes... not that great an idea... ever try maca? gaba? Ashwaganda?

I have a guy in VT who sells CBD oil very reasonably priced... PM me if you would like to try him... also sells CBD flower (bud) for smoking... interesting stuff... I think he would send a free sample if you like... maybe only pay for shipping...

I'll let you know how the shrink appt goes... but it will be awhile... a few weeks I would think...

• Posted

For the love of GOD!

What needs to be moderated in THAT?!

Hang fire Archbay, hopefully reply will appear soon...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.