Discovery of possible biomarker for CFS

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just found out that, more than a year ago, some research was published in Australia (which happens to be where I live!) on a possible biomarker for CFS (I say "possible" because it seems like the scale of the study was too small to be 100% conclusive).

This is absolutely incredible and I'm so angry that I didn't know about it until now and that my doctors have no idea about it.

I don't want to be too optimistic because we still don't have a blood test for it (as far as I know; if there is one PLEASE tell me!) and obviously more work needs to be done but the fact that this research even exists is incredibly important and validating.

Here's a brief summary article: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/breakthrough-in-diagnosis-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/10188210

Here's a more in depth one: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/02/28/biomarker-aussies-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Crikey that all went a bit over my head but am I right in that it's saying there is a calcium deficiency in our cells no matter what are calcium levels are (I've been taking calcium supplements for years on the advice of my GP) and it's a case of working out why?

• Posted

That seems to be the gist of it, yeah. It is pretty technical and hard to understand!

My understanding (which may be totally wrong) is that a specific type of cell responsible for "first response" to immune threats is unable to get enough calcium. One of those articles mentions that CFS patients had mutations that affected the ability of those immune cells to receive calcium; that kinda sounds like a genetic thing to me? But it doesn't really say.

I feel like the role of immunity in this is significant, but maybe that's just because I've suffered from lifelong strange reactions to viruses.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this!  Very positive. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

I'd heard of this research but aren't entirely convinced it is a positive? I think we need more research for sure. Other things I have read state anyone can get the condition and that feels less judgemental than reports that say it's people who over do things.

Beverley

• Posted

There is also a bit of research showing that it is a mitochondrial infect... just came across your post so haven't got any links (yet)  but, it is being suggested it is an esptein barr like virus that infects the mitochondria. I could also and reasonable be that there are several forms of ME/CFS and these are but two. Or indeed expressions of Mitochondrial suffering.  

• Posted

Thank you for posting this. Makes sense to me. This could explain why it affects EVERYTHING. Every part of our bodies. It's very hopeful. We know we aren't nuts even though I feel that way too much. Waiting for the medical community to catch up with us is exhausting. However with more evidence coming forward there is hope to keep moving ahead no matter how crappy we feel. I'm so ready for something anything!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.