Discrepancy in leg length after hip replacement

Posted , 67 users are following.

I had a total ceramic hip replacement 3 weeks ago and I have been left with an inch difference in the length of my operated leg the physio has advised me to get an insert for my shoe she said they sold them in boots the chemist but I can't see anything was wondering if anyone else has the same problem

5 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my thr just over 2weeks ago and am pretty disturbed by the discrepancy in the leg lengths. Like many here, my surgeon said we need to wait until the 6weeks to see the extent of the discrepancy and that it will be fully resolved when I get the other hip done,  with possibility of a heel inset in interim. But I'm now worried about what that will be like reading people's experiences. Think I'll order the jelly insets that can be built up to appropriate size but must say, I feel pretty depressed by it all.
    • Posted

Sounds like rubbish to me, if it's short it's short. I don't understand how if they can't get it right the first time how they think they are going to get it right the second time. Seems like a let's have another go mentality.
    • Posted

Hi JJPaula, Well it could be truly short, at times I would amagine the boney part supporting the new hip head would not at all times be 100% and some trimming of the bone would have to happen. Again muscle tenson may make it appear lopsided when it is not. As well having been suffering pain and that the joint has not had a full range contributes to muscle weakness which may contibute to the impression of a short leg. I am of an age that many people I know have had hip replacements and nearly all complained of a length discrepancy initially. Eventually they were all happy and non ended up "waddeling''.

Google " trendelenberg gait".

• Posted

Hi Annette,

I'm coming at this from the other way around! When I was young I had a blood deficiency which resulted in an under developed hip join. I have just under 2 inches difference in my leg length.

I'm 25 years old and my body has compensated over time but to help with some lower back pain I use some arched in-soles (you might find you develop flat feet with leg difference) and under the shorter leg I have a foam wedge which only adds 1cm but should help things feel more normal.

I'm currently going through the process of talking to sugeons about a hip replacement.

Mark.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

thanks for sharing this information. Can I ask: do you have arched in-soles for both legs or just the shorter one? Thanks, Whalie

• Posted

Hi Whalie,

I have the arches for both feet. It's more relavent for the longer leg as your stance is twisted to compensate for the gap which can leave the long leg to the side and flat.

I hope that helps!

• Posted

Yes, very helpful. Thank you.

best wishes

• Posted

Hi annete. I had my THR on my left foot on 2011 because I had an accident and the surgeon advised me for THR. After the surgery, i also have a lenght difference about an inch and the surgeon advised me to wear in insole on my right foot so that the walking will be stable. But, instead of insole, I wore an invisible non-slip heel gel cushion. I put the gel in all my right shoes from sandal to sports shoe. At first it feels peculiar having to wear the gel cushion but after that you know that you really need the gel cushion to support you. 

I bought the gel cushion at pharmacy such as Guardian, Watson or Scholl store.

• Posted

Dear Annette,   There is a simple device that may help you called an Evenup that is available in the UK.  It adds over an inch of height to your own shoe and is adjustable and removeable.   If you put a heel lift inside your shoe you can get a little more.   As you get used to your new hip you may be able to gradually remove the heel lift and then one of the soles of the Evenup and hopefully the entire Evenup after a time.  Hope this helps you.   
  • Posted

I am 3 weeks post op and have been advised by the surgeon and 2 physics that what I have is a 'perceived' difference in leg length, rather than an 'actual' one. Apparently it's the pelvic tilt that has come about due to years of compensating for the erosion of the dodgy joint and pain. I'm advised that exercise and intensive physio to help loosen bunched up muscles around the pelvis on my 'good' side should improve things. Also. For anyone discussing shoe lifts etc, a good chiropodist / podiatrist can not only make bespoke orthotics for your shoes and boots, they can also send away for bespoke sandals. For the 18 months prior to my op I lived in my extremely comfortable bespoke  'flip flip style' Birkenstocks (other brands also available!) admittedly they're not cheap, but well worth it if you can save up or, in my case, my lovely Mum paid half for me.
  • Posted

Yes I had severe pelvic tilt which was resolved by some pretty simple exercises. The weirdist I found was just to shift the short leg as far as possible to match the longer leg. So when sitting or lying down I had to do it and it felt strange as though my hip would pop. But of course it's just the muscles etc that are stretching.
  • Posted

Hi Annette.

i am in exactly the same position as you just three on from my op. I wondered how you have got on in the time that has now passed. Has your leg length changed at all over time or gave you resorted to shoe lifts. 

I have had an amazing recovery up to now but now find walking is affecting my back and knees which is all a little depressing. I'm not sure if it is too early to use aids. It does seem reading the forum that so many are just left to deal with this issue on their own.

Chris

• Posted

Hi Annette,

Are you aware of the Evenup device available from Algeos there in the UK?  It is adjustable and may help you gradually step down to your own shoe eventually.

• Posted

Hi Bradley, is this available allover?What is the medical name for it? I would like to see whether it is available in South Africa
  • Posted

I am also dealing with this issue. From day one I told the doctor my leg was too long. He said there was no way - he is very well regarded in the medical profession - but when he finally saw me after 7 weeks he took one look and admitted he had made my leg too long and performed a revision that week. I am now 4-weeks out and my leg still feels too long. While I wait for this "settling" to tell the story, I am learning a lot. I discourage anyone from prematurely getting a lift in their shoe until at least 6 months have passed - and preferably wait one year. Wearing a lift will hinder the body from leveling out. ALSO, although my doctor said I did not need physical therapy because of the anterior approach, I have found PT to be invaluable in my recovery. Granted, I had two back-to-back procedures and things are very inflamed, but I am experiencing tremendous improvement from the exercises and massages. If your legs are different lengths you will walk incorrectly and potentially create other issues, however, a good therapist will catch and show you how to correct this before you cause further damage. Until they showed me video of my walk I had no idea how off it was. I urge you to at least be evaluated. You can do the exercises they give you at home and follow up periodically if unable to work therapy visits in on a regular basis. Finally, remember the pelvis can be affected by this surgery. I am now doing "bridges" every day with my other stretches, which helps the pelvis settle, too. Good luck! And to anyone out there thinking of getting their hip replaced, think again. Even with the best surgeon there are risks. If you can delay and get an injection, maybe the stem cell procedures they are now using as an option will be more mainstream before you feel you have no other options but replacement. Here's to hopping. I mean, hoping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.