Discs

Posted , 4 users are following.

It is almost 2 years since i was diagnosed with 2 prolapsed discs and a lot of wear and tear on my back. I dont suffer with severe pain very much now but the feelings down my left side from my buttock to my foot can be unbarable. I was told not to bend by my GP but i work as a gardner and have to bend. I can only work for about 20 mins at a time and then my lower back becomes overly sore. I had an mri scan 1 and a 1/2 yrs ago and was told i would have to have an op to fix this and i have finaly got an appointment for tomorrow but i feel that the numbness and pins and needles have got a lot worse over this long time. Its strange but i have learned to live with this condition. I have read that the success rate is not very high.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi William,

Could I refer you to a previous thread entitled \"success rates\" posted by ged42 today as I replied here with the success rates (hope its ok to do this mods?). William you will also have to bear in mind your recovery period afterwards, as I and a lot of other post discectomy people are finding that you have to take it easy and recovery can take months rather than weeks, especially if you do manual work as in your case. Discuss how the operation and recovery will impact on your work and you can bring this into the equation. I had my op on Nov 1st and it has had a positive impact on both my quality of life and independence despite having aslight setback recently. I would definately do it again if needed and even with hindsight was the right thing to do. Good luck with your appt tomorrow and ask loads of questions. Let us know how you get on.

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Hi Jules

Thank you for taking the time to answer my experience. I saw the doc today at the southern general and he said that an op was not an option, he reckons that this would do more harm than good. My back has a lot of wear and tear and it's not going to get any better but he cant do an op till it gets worse as the chances are that it would make it a lot worse anyway. Ive lived with the discomfort and pain for two years now and im afraid i will have to keep going as i have been. The doc just told me what i already thought.

Thanks again

William.

• Posted

Hi William,

Sorry to hear the Doc can't do anything at the moment.....what does this mean for your work? Can you continue for now? Have you tried a Tens machine..it can be useful for some people...Anyway..this site is very supportive so keep us posted with how things are going..It can help to have support from those going through similar experiences...

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

You are not alone William. I am being to ld the same by all the Docs I speak to. It is infuriating as it is affecting my daily life more and more each week. It is getting to the stage that I am thinking that before they will do anything, people need to be in a wheelchair and even then they will probably say it is too late to do anything then.

I am sick to my rear teeth (what are left of them!!!) of the NHS and this Government not in not providing enough funding to treat people properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.