Discussion of a Book

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi to all users of Zopiclone.  I was given a book for xmas titled. "The Effortless Sleep Method" by Sasha Stephens.    I have only just dipped into it, but one of the worrying thingd she mentions in it is that these drugs can cause cancer and eventually death.  How can that happen, i wonder.   Also that the tablets can make insomnia worse.  I have been taking them for at least fifteen years now, tried giving up but couldnt.  As long as i can get them prescribed i will take my chances on that one.  The author reckons she has a cure for insomnia. I shall read on.  If anyone else has read this book please let me and others know what you think.It is available through Amazon.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hiya

I've read the book. Some good common sense advice in there. As for the cancer link - I'm no Dr so can't help with that.

I took zopiclone for just a month to 6 weeks. I only had around 20 pills in that time but it completely messed me up and 6 months on I still have tinnitus ringing loudly in my ears to remind me of one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

I wish I had researched more before I took them.

I've said on this forum before the best thing I've used for sleep is an app called Andrew Johnsons Deep sleep. Works for me almost everytime even though I'm sceptic on these sort of things

Jimmy

• Posted

hi. Has anyone read the above book I mentioned and completed the course successfully . The author seems to think it will work for anyone. But of course, requires a lot of self discipline and determination.
    • Posted

My local libraries (Manchester, Salford) do not seem to have a copy – strange if such a book could be saving the NHS goodness knows how much doctor's time.

Looking at other peoples discussion on the Internet:

* Get up and do something boring for a couple of hours – I'm in bed because I'm really too tired to lay on the sofa comfortably and yet sleep still isn't coming to me.

* Don't nap during the day – I can't stop  myself falling asleep in front of my computer after lunch sitting in a chair, I've even fallen asleep standing up to switch it off and just managed to wake up before hitting the floor.

Neither of these ideas are new to me.

I know at one time reading before bed was the answer. I know the idea of the 9 to 5 and fixed appointment times are a complete anathema to my problem, I know worrying about it won't help but I can't see any way round these problems for people still of working age ... and please don't tell me the Jobcentre will be patient and understanding, they know people who've needed to take medication for years for the problem!

• Posted

Hi Robert.  If you can't afford to buy the book, ask the library to order if for you maybe.
    • Posted

I thought of that Vivien. I'm just a litle worried that they might purchase a copy and I'm not sure I want them to think I'm making a recommendation!
  • Posted

I would take the cancer and death with a pinch of salt. If you read the possible side affects for paracetamol, you'd never swallow another one. All drugs have possible side affects, and if after 15 years you're still with us, long may it continue I hasten to add, then i'd be inclined not too worry.

Self help books are a guideline only, and like many drugs should be used with caution. As is the mantra, 'I can't sleep', in turn becoming the self fulfilling prophecy.

• Posted

An increased cance risk is supposed to result from a depression of the immune system caused by Zopiclone. All drugs must have their downside or they wouldn't be called drugs.

They to make it harder to fall asleep the night after the night you take one.

With these self help books, I often wonder if, if true that their content does actuall help the author, it's not because of the extra financial security they gain fron the royalties!

• Posted

Hi all, following on about the worry of cancer and death which may be linked. I think its important to remember the long term damage that non restful sleep can take on our bodies. I have been taking zoplicone on and off for 2 years, i dont like it, but have found it necessary if i am to have some quality of life. Just take one day at a time, and try not to worry about it too much.
    • Posted

My own philosophy to a tee, jackied68.

I've taken them continuously from August 2005, except for about a month last year and  the odd few days earlier this year when I managed without them. My last prescription for 28 was the end of October and I've got 7 left – currently I'm just needing the odd one for the odd night.

• Posted

so nice to hear some sensible and reasonable comments;  it's great that you've managed to reduce use of Zopiclone so much.  I plan to do the same, but keep putting it off ... mostly because I love a good night's sleep and suffer no bad effect during the day.  You've done really well, any tips as to how you succeeded after so long?
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I've started taking them more often again – my 94-year-old mother had to go into hospital after collapsing on the floor during the night and there's things I want to do and get done and they can't happen without my sleeping.

I went to see a psychologist a few years back to give my GP back up for prescribing for my condition. I said to him that I thought I knew which nights I need to take one, and anytime I find I don't, I'll gladly leave them in the drawer – and that's basically how I go on.

It's a little strange how things come and go: problems with joints one's had for years suddenly disappear, warts that seem to come and go like rashes and touches of eczema and psoriasis that just pop up every few years.

• Posted

Sad for your mother's difficulties Robert, at times like that you absolutely need sleep more than ever.  I tried a hypnotherapist about sleep problems once, but she was keener to psycho-analyze me which wasn't my intention:-)  Regarding weird ailments as time goes by, I achieved hayfever when over 50, for the first time.  Sending you good wishes for better health and ease to come.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.