discussion with my consultant

Posted , 14 users are following.

hi folks.

just back from appointment with my consultant, talked about how I am etc, etc. told him of usual aches and pains and location. one particular area getting worse I said was my spine. he then preceded to tell me me it's a matter for my doctor and not him. I asked why.he informed me it can't be Ra, because it's impossible to get RA in the spine.

in 30 years of having RA, that's news to me. has anyone else been told the same?

best wishes ivan.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you requested x rays to see if it is OA
    • Posted

How often are the backbones x-rayed?  Wouldn't that be unnecessary diagnostically?  Whether OA or RA, both cause instability and time to check in with a neurologist who specializes in back surgery.  Which one delivers the most rads:  Chest x-ray or backbone x-ray.  I've had my neck done but the thickness of a torso - it would seem only done before surgery, although I don't know about this kind of thing.  Do you?  Maybe what is done is MRI.

• Posted

They are not xrayed as standard..probably due to the cost..it was only that I complained of a bit of stiffness in my neck that my consultant said they'd xray...once they found the AAI... I had to have an MRI and a polo scan..to check severity.

They also did xrays through my mouth to see high cervical damage.

Then I was referred back to surgeon.

• Posted

I have also had the x-ray through the open mouth to see the C-1 and 2.  I don't know what AAI or polo scan are

• Posted

Hi. I have back pain but told by two different rheumatology nurses that RA doesn't affect lower back. It's a shame in a way because that would have been an understandable issue that way!

• Posted

Alot of people with RA can have oa as well and that definately does effect the back, so pain is pain no matter what causes it.  You would eventually see the bones bulging out on your back more.  Mine do.  I was told when I got a spinal block, that it was hard finding one that wasn't too narrow.  Also you might have weaker muscles and pt to strengthen your back would help that.  You can get those exercisess off the internet as well.  I try to do them every day.

• Posted

I just read an article where the first 3 vertebrae can get RA causing you to have headaches. I'm going to research this and try to get back with you cause I am worried about it too. I have a lot of back problems including congenital fusions and wondered if RA might creep into them and cause more pain. As for the doctor telling you to it's a matter for your doctor and not him...that's what my first rheumy told me and the last. I quit him. If they can't take the time to explain anything they are worthless. So many rheumies act like they are God and I am not going to put up with it. 

• Posted

I tried to give you a site where it says you can have RA in your spine but it was moderated. Probably can't give links, but mostly RA is in your cervical area but can be in the lumbar area

• Posted

Can you tell me what words you used to search?  I will look also.  Have a headache again today, last week it was 4 straight days.  I'm at the point today to call the dr.  Taking dyclofenac helps some, but doesn't totatlly get rid of it.  I know it is my neck and my jaw, my jaws are tender to the touch.

• Posted

I sent you a private message and it's in there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.