Disease Modifying Medication for MS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

Had my appointment with consultants yesterday. Good news I don't have the virus they were looking for on lumber puncture. So I can go on the disease modifying medication. Bad news is they want myself and family to choose which one I would like to go on. As you all know my MS has not only effected my left side ataxia cerebellar possible. My balance is all over the place and it's spread to spinal cord. But my memory has been effected which is not only bad for me but my whole family. They are very patient while I get angry and frustrated.

So big decision to make which doesn't seem fair to leave it to my family as I cannot concentrate or remember things. Bug ask I know. But is there anyone out there on any one if these medications. As my partner and mum said it's quite scarey reading about how them. And there are many side effects. My partner is going to contact my ms nurse. But thought I'd see if anyone could help through some light on these medications. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks Mark

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I don't take any of that medication, sorry. Although i have taken plenty of other medications throughout my life. I have come to realise that what works for 1 person certainly may not work for another as we're all different. There's many different types of medication that i can't tolerate for one reason or another, whilst there's some which dont affect me at all. My advice to you would be trial and error with different ones because only your body will tell you what's right for you. Yes, it can be scary when taking new medication for the first time but if you don't at least try then you'll never know what works for you. Wishing you well smile

• Posted

Thanks Denise. I know all medication doesn't work well for everyone. But some of theses sound really scary and had to decide whether to go for tablets or injection form. There are 2 which are potentially life threatening so I'll leave these out I think. Just thought I'd find out if there is anyone who's gone through this. As hink it's going to be a tough one for my family to choose. But thank you Denise as your always so supportive.

• Posted

Hello Mark,

my body seems to be allergic to most of the drugs I've tried so I'm not the best one to comment really.  The one thing I will say though, is if you opt for injection form and your body doesn't like it, it will last longer than tablets taken on a daily basis, if that makes sense.

Whatever you and your family decide, I hope you get some relief.  Take care x

• Posted

With medication as scary as that i think the only person the should advice you is your ms nurse.
    • Posted

Thanks Sukes. Thats what my mum though. Do well speak to ms nurse first I think. XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.