Diseased and needs work. No quick fix to TKR. March on.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Almost 18 months now after left knee TKR. I am experiencing weakness and unstable joint. I approached this long before having my surgery by going to the gym for strengthening my right knee which may be why I had my left knee done first. I would not do this surgery again and probably would not have done it knowing my outcome. This is a judgement call everyone of us who is thinking of surgery or had it done. I didn't get any rehab after surgery. I was discharged after 2 days and started doing the exercises I did for the previous 3 years prior to the operation. Surprisingly, these exercises were given to me four weeks later by the physical therapist at the outpatient clinic. I could not do one leg extension with more than 3lbs. I started back at the gym a year ago and I can do 70 lbs. 6 years ago I could do 250 lbs. with both legs on the weight machine. Now I only do 130 lbs. No matter what you must keep on going. Nothing I can say or do to can change things. It may take another year or two for me to work things out. Remember to tell your dentist or doctor about  TKR. My dentist gave me an antibiotic at my teeth cleaning before procedure. Avoid infections at all cost. Anything can happen and knowing how to be careful is a benefit. Anytime you have surgery to parts of your body no matter what area or procedure, you still have a diseased limb, knee, back, etc. There is no cure. It's a treatment only. Good or bad, it's your body and you just have to live with it. I appreciate everyone taking part in the discussions. Happy and healthy life.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt. Re your post...are you saying you need a TKR on your other leg? Or is your previous TKR an issue for you?

Many of us had a TKR to give us more mobility. In that way, my bilaterals have given me back my ability to travel as before. However, many of us had no alternative but to have joint replacements. Pain, collapsing knees, lack of sleep, medicated lives. We chose the path hoping for improvement. Many of us have side affects however we cannot go back so we learn to live full lives with limitations. I wish there was an effective alternative to TKR but there's not, as yet. Good fortune to you.

• Posted

Hi Matt. Re your post...are you saying you need a TKR on your other leg? Or is your previous TKR an issue for you?

Many of us had a TKR to give us more mobility. In that way, my bilaterals have given me back my ability to travel as before. However, many of us had no alternative but to have joint replacements. Pain, collapsing knees, lack of sleep, medicated lives. We chose the path hoping for improvement. Many of us have side effects however we cannot go back so we learn to live full lives with limitations. I wish there was an effective alternative to TKR but there's not, as yet. Good fortune to you.

• Posted

Hi, I don't understand your post? What is it that you can do 130lb of?

I'm so glad I can walk, not very well, but I can walk again. For that I am thankful.

• Posted

Matt,

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. It seems like most people here are fortunate enough to recover a lot of function and little pain within 12 weeks. I get wistful reading about people walking after 2-6 weeks with a cane. I have spent the last 8 months in a wheelchair due to post op complications and have worked very hard through pain to straighten/extend from -45 (my LTKR leg-surgery was May 2017). After 8 months it is finally at -10 extension, enough to start walking with crutches but I have to rebuild muscle and stamina and the knee is painful after 5 minutes of inactivity and I have to stretch it out to stand or walk. I hope the pain will resolve and I regain function.

But I think how fortunate I am to avoid infection or revision/replacement of the joint again like some have had. I have been exercising the right leg to prepare for RTKR, and am trying a Synvisc injection later this month to delay surgery because I have not reached the point where I can say I was glad I did this surgery. Feeling this way after 8 months, I can't  imagine how you must feel at 18 months post op! You are right in that the choice is to keep on working through towards recovery even if it takes years!

I wish you the best of luck in recovery, my surgeon says recovery is a bell curve and some will recover in 6 weeks and others like me will take a year or more. 

• Posted

Hi Matt

I know a lot of people aren't told about the cold facts about recovery into was discharged on the third day

I had a little booklet with a couple of exercises in it the first thing I did was to check the Internet luckily I came across this site and with the great advice I have received 16 months down the line I'm fine

It's the bit about you lifting heavy weights I can't understand most folk have this operation to give them a better standard of life I'm just wondering are you quite young.

• Posted

Hi Matt, undoubtably we are not given the full impact of TKR before we set out on its path but speaking from a personal viewpoint I am so glad I've had both knees done now! It really had impacted all areas of my life, even with the post op blues I'm still thankful. I'm just looking forward to the summer when I will be able to go for nice long walks again. I have missed that over the last 8 to 10 years as I became more disabled!

Did you really try to use weights at so early a po stage? I could just about straighten at 3 weeks let alone even consider weights!!

I'm just not sure why you are trying to exercise quite so hard esp as you started at a year ago when you must have only been 6 months po when you started! TKR recovery isn't easy & isnt quick, I don't know you obvs but.... having lived through 2 TKRs now I'm amazed how well you are doing! Esp as you must have started at 6 months po!

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it but in the interests of NOT having a revision in the near future what is best for your new implant? Get informed advice.

I don't know why you had TKR or what your Disease was, your surgeon does. Follow his advice.

Maybe I'm just not understanding your query??

Also as to infection, I worked in a dental surgery until I retired last year & NICE do not say antibiotic cover is needed for TKR patients having dental treatment. The advice on A/B cover changed a few years ago. However you must go on your surgeons advice. Also I spoke to my GP about this & other infections which may affect my new joint, last year, & he said it really isn't an problem.  He said more damage is done to the joint by over use than infection. 

So care is needed on the new joint but gradual strengthening of the surrounding muscles is very good as long as it is gradual. Truthfully 18 months is still within the recovery/rehab timescale of TKR. Work with whatever your surgeon & physio have advised.

At 7 months, last year, I was back at work, but still well into recovery of my knee & certainly couldn't do anything like you were, but then I am in my 60s you are prob a lot younger & fitter!

Look after yourself & I wish you all the best for your recovery, I'm sure you will attain the levels of fitness you want, just understand the new joint isn't going to last anywhere near as long as the original. Look after it!

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

I used to be a dental nurse many years ago before later becoming a primary school teacher!

I think this may be why I have an on going interest in this forum! It is the nurse bit of me!😀😃

• Posted

Forgot to add...that is interesting about infection and the reply you got from GP as I was wondering that myself, so glad you included in your post!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.