Disk Herniation (Spinal Shock)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with  Bulged Disks at L4/L5 and L5/S1 around 2015 with mild to moderate pains and restrictions and consequent on and off immobility as the result. Around 2017 this condition deteriorated to Herniated Disks with moderate to severe complications. I was not given operation approval as the doctors believed it has 50% chance of cure. Under UK NHS health service I have had many cancelations and my injection did not take place putting the case under a complaint process, which now could go forever. The number, intensity and type of symptoms increased by time particularly after 2018 when I had to work while taking strong medications. 

One of this symptoms is terrifying and first emerged in 2018-19 and is progressively appearing more than ever, which maybe a serious condition leading to paralysis. I am looking to name the condition and understand it so I can explain it to the doctors. I yet have not found any condition or phenomenon with the description. I should note, Spinal Shock's description does not reflect this condition.

Description: Just like when muscle cramp appears which  very rapidly creates such spasm that is very painful. But the difference is it originates from my lower back (lumber) and within a matter of a second from both directions it engulfs my body and all my muscles, particularly from where it originates, contract significantly many times harder than a cramp and after that point I am in absolutely no control. I am completely frozen like a stone as if I have been electroshocked. I involuntary scream and throw myself on the floor and continue until it releases.  I form a gesture on the floor that is not under my control either. This could take from 10-30 seconds until a full release. There is nothing like it and the experience is extremely frightening because the sudden shock or contraction and its intensity feels like I am being pulled apart from my lumber and in any second I may be cut in two. This first emerged when I was in a sitting position on the toilet seat slightly bending forward in 2018-2019. However now this condition may appear while I am in a horizontal position on bed or when I try to stand up and walk, which clearly shows deterioration in the symptom or condition. Please advise what this condition maybe called. 

My inference: I can only think this is as the result of my spinal nerve being touched or contacted by the herniated disk in certain positions, hence the condition is rapid, extremely intense and painful. However, I would like to understand the validity of my statement or possibly a more scientific explanation.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.