Dislocated hip replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone had their new hip dislocate on them ?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Some here have. I have not but had a great surgeon, posterior approach and followed instructions. Good luck 
  • Posted

Mine dislocated in the hospital on the first night. They put it back in on day 3. I was then on hip restrictions for 6 weeks and have had no problems since. 
    • Posted

Yes- I feel absolutely fine now. I had my op on November 27th, and the hip put back in (under sedation) on November 30th. I'm still recovering, absolutely, but I walk without crutches, go to the gym, went on holiday, back at work full time (my job is fairly physical), so its all good. It was very painful- not going to lie, and was fairly scary as the whole thing was going on, but I feel very confident now, and my surgeon is too. About 2 days after they put it back in it made a huge 'clunk' as I was sitting up, but there has been no issues at all since. It did knock my confidence at first and hope restrictions are very very frustrating, but I am great now. Are you worried yours might? 

• Posted

sorry- auto correct typo- 'hip restrictions'. 

• Posted

Yes , mine dislocated, and I’m so scared it will do it again , I’m hardly moving around and can’t imagine ever feeling totaly confident 
    • Posted

Has your surgeon said anything about why? I don’t think mine was 100% in when I came out of surgery. Then overnight I was violently sick and apparently the action of vomiting (jack knifing forward) popped it out. So yeah, I literally vomited my hip out of joint. I say this because yes, it’s a good party story (or is it?) but also because knowing (or feeling like I know) why and how it occurred has been helpful. My surgeon also told me that the muscles contract quite often when you come out of sedation which can put the hip in a strained position, which I think is what happened to me. So as you strengthen and pass more and more days without it happening you’re less and less likely to suffer with that again. He also told me the relocation puts a lot of strain on the muscles so that can be extra draining and painful. Do you mind me asking when your surgery was? Also for me, putting weight through it made me feel more secure as I felt like it was being pushed into place. I tried to get up on it actually when it was dislocated but nobody knew and so had a blood pressure drop and fell over. Good times. Anyway- I really do feel much much better now, and the more I exercise and use the hip the better I feel. Hope you feel better about it soon. 
    • Posted

I had mine done on the 3rd  March , dislocated on the 12th , now in a hip and waist brace locked at 70% so I can’t go past the 90 % 

I agree standing helps feel it in firmly , it’s just the worry that a slight wrong move and it’s out again,

My consultant is very happy with it and has promised if it comes out again he will up me up and recheck everything , I guess for me it’s like you say if I knew what happened exactly I can avoid it and build my confidence...

I feel a bit like I have a little handgrnade in my hip area , with the pin just hanging in there , and one wrong move ... Boooom !

😬

• Posted

I have ! It’s the most painful thing I’ve ever had happen to me. 
    • Posted

It probably took me about 2-4 months to feel “normal” and til this day I’m still apprehensive about walking. 

Did yours dislocate ?

• Posted

yes , 9 days after the op .. I’m in a brace , and I can’t imagine feeling confident again.. it was the worse pain ever 
    • Posted

Just had a near miss!! I knew sooner or later I would do my usual pratfall. Just cleaning house ready for a viewing when I twisted on my right hip. Sickening feeling of the ball joint levering out of the cup followed by a click back in to place. Three weeks after op, so hopefully I have learnt a lesson.

Basil.

• Posted

I am so impressed you could do the house work... I've tried doing bits but I'm basically only using 1 leg as to only partial weight bare for 6 to 8 weeks... also cant get far on one leg...as good leg not good either lol ... mine has given me a sharp warning ...that its not happy...

• Posted

"I am so impressed you could do the house work.." Bit sexist :0)  My wife has trained me well in the black arts. Joking apart, having read so many posts over the last few months , what comes through loud and clear is listen to your body, go at your own pace and although you would find it hard to believe from many of these posts the vast majority i.e. over 95% will see a big improvement.

Anyways, having cleaned the house with a fine tooth comb, one viewer cancelled and the other didn't show'frown

Good luck with the rehab.

Basil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.