Dislocated shoulder 3 weeks ago, weird sensation while running?

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all! So I dislocated my right shoulder playing basketball Feb 24. It was fully dislocated, but put back into place by an athletic trainer probably about 10-15 seconds after it happened. No numbness or tingling, had full ROM after it was reduced and wasn't in any pain, likely due to the adrenaline since it certainly hurt afterwards. I played the rest of that game, then again on Sunday (conference championship game, and the last game of my career) with it heavily supported in a shoulder spica. The pain didn't last long and I have been progressing with ROM and strength through a rehab program put together by my athletic trainers. ROM isn't quite there yet, even 3 weeks later, and it is still weak and sometimes painful. There are only two main regions that hurt, which are the front, subscap area, and a weird strip down the back that is like right underneath my tricep. But that all brings me to my question.

I have been running recently (approved my by ATs) and today I noticed a weird sensation in my shoulder where it felt loose and almost like it was separating while I was running, during foot strike. I wouldn't call it painful at all, just uncomfortable and a little unsettling. The feeling improved when i was more aware of holding my shoulder up and more still (?) while running, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what this could be, or if it is just the weakness of the muscles struggling to hold it in place with the impact?

I'm also wondering if i need to schedule an appointment with my doctor or have some imaging done, just to make sure there isn't anything structurally wrong? hopefully someone has some kind of experience with this and may know what could be going on 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi Jen

how it doing. when you said a weird feeling. that strip down the back of the tricep. is it a weird to touch not quite yours feeling.

not had a dislocation but had me shoulder surgically Separated and had the capsule cut away.

post operation the " sergeant stripes " as they refer to the area went numb. imagine where the stripes would be on a shirt.

this was post operation swelling around the shoulder that interfered with the auxiliary nerve. in dislocations this nerve sometimes gets bruised or damaged and causes a weird feeling at the top of the shoulder.

Google auxiliary nerve damage and see if he is similar to what you have now

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.