Dislocated toe 3 months post op

Posted , 3 users are following.

hey all! wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

i had a first metatarsal osteotomy (boat) procedure done on Jan 27th. I did 6 weeks non weight bearing, had an x-ray, and my surgeon said it's safe to walk. i had pain and swelling but assumed it was normal.

yesterday, i had my 12 week follow up x-ray. my surgeon now tells me my toe is dislocated and has no idea how. he said my joint is over near my second toe? I asked about my x-ray from 6 weeks ago and he said there was a "slight shift" but he assumed it would self correct. I'm mind blown that I've been walking for 6 weeks on a dislocated toe. He has no reason or cause, and now with the pandemic i have to wait until the hospital decides it's urgent enough to have surgery. i will need another 6 weeks on crutches and he might need to fuse my joint all together, which I do not want and told him that at my consult.

does anyone have any idea what happened or have an experience like this?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

cmp, really hard to comprehend that surgery could result in a dislocated toe when we have expectations for a successful procedure.

maybe try to google the problem and might be some answers to comprehend.

in my case the surgeon put a metal clamp in my toe to keep it from migrating.

some common complications leading to failure can include under- or over-correction, delayed union, malunion or non-union of osteotomy or fusion, joint stiffness, nerve entrapment, and excessive shortening of the first metatarsal leading to lesser metatarsal overload.

in my case i ended up with nerve damage and wear a toe pillow to keep the toe from causing nerve pressure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.