Dislocated Toe Issue

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma.

My podiatrist suggested shoe implants even after I told her the first ones I bought didn't help.

The implant glued to the heel of my shoe.

After a few days I was walking up my driveway which is sloped and the pad came loose in the shoe and slid forward as I stepped down.

I heard a snap and felt pain & the toes instantly swelled.

It took a week to get an appt. with podiatrist and found the middle toe was dislocated.

The Dr. put it back in place but said it was out for so long it may not stay.

I rested it for a week with much ice but, when I returned to Dr. it was out again.

She now said I need surgery and I am hobbling around in a special boot.

This surgery is going to have a long healing period for which I have no help at home.

I have two weeks to give her an answer on a return visit.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone else?

I feel like I have 2 choices. One is to leave it alone and use special boot the rest of my life because I have no help and can't afford it or try the surgery and use the foot even though I am to stay off it completely for at least 6 weeks. I am getting very depressed over all of this. I am 62 yr.s old.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Cynthia

I can't answer for toes out of joint but I was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma after a fractured and dislocated metatarsal - the locum/Dr at A&E at the hospital wouldn't do anything for the feacture as it was a couple of weeks since the original accident - she missed the dislocation altogether and so did the podiarist at my local hospital. The insoles the podiarist gave me first made the situation worse so I ended up with such thick insoles I had to wear shoes a size larger - as I am flat footed it just resulted in tripping over all the time as my shoes were much longer and wider than I'd worn before or was used to.It was 17 months later when a different podiarist picked up the dislocation and put it back, only for it to come out again within 1 minute. By then I'd had enough and got re-referred to a different hospital and found I needed a mid foot fusion. It took 4 and a half months to get walking again but I managed 5 days on my own during this time as my husband made sure I had enough milk and micro food choices so I wouldn't need to stand long. i purchased an Iwalk2 frame and strapped it on, it's like a metal peg leg but whilst you can walk unaided on it, if you do not have brilliant balance, I would suggest anyone thinking of using one to do so first of all with a zimmer frame - a knee walker (knee wheelie frame) also does the job. if you have no help the key things to think about are: if I cannot get upstairs to the loo, can I live on one floor if you have a loo and micro/kettle/fridge on that floor. i had to sleep on the sofa for 4 months. 2: Shopping, if you have no help, can you get groceries delivered if you order on-line. if you cannot do not, then are there any recouperation/care homes you can go to stay at as you will also need to get to hospital for your appointments, its just a thought but if you cannot get anyone to stay or help, going into a care home for a set number of weeks at least you'll not be on your own

• Posted

Thank you Lorraine for the many suggestions. I will look into all of them. It sounds like you had a time of it yourself.

I didn't even think about getting groceries delivered. I will manage as usual.

I am so glad that you went to a different hospital that could help you.

How is your foot now? This Morton's is the pits. I only wish I didn't wear high heels when I was younger LOL

Thanks again & good luck to you,

Cindy

• Posted

HI Cynthia

I didn't war high heels as I don't have a particularly good sense of balance but my problems started in my teens when playing basketball and an 18 stone bloke landed on my foot cracking the bone in the mid foot attached to my big toe and I had a bony lump which prohibited me from wearing any shoes which covered the top side of the foot or required laces. it was the second accident 8 years ago that really made the difference between coping with careful management and life becoming a total misery.

Now how it is now, thankfully I found a lovely surgeon -we discovered my Morton's Neuroma was actually being caused in 4th metatarsal area because 2/3rd metatarsals were rubbing against each other forcing the 4th metatarsal to click as I click as I walked. I had 2/3rd joints fused by 2 screws and the click has pretty well gone - I get the odd click, but not every day/week but it depends how much I try to walk. As I wanted the bony lump over my 1/2nd metatarsal mid foot removed, this was done; however it has left this joint now moving and crunching more than it did before and as I wouldn't agree to surgery until I had lost 10 stone, it has left me with advanced arthritis in that foot due to the length of time it took to get the correct treatment, then me bottling surgery - so the more I walk the more painful I find my foot. i have continued having my steriod injections twice yearly and these usually help a lot so when they are working, I can walk comfortably for short distances grocery shopping and around the house, the only catch is the steriod injections will accelerate the arthritis in the long term so it's really a matter of careful management now for the rest of my life and I am still in my 50's. The Dr who gave me the last steriod injection found it very difficult to push the injection needle in and said she though the joint next to my fusion is now partly fused as well; so whilst it has been the most difficult injection and was agony for 5 days barely able to stand before it kicked in, it has lasted longer and better than any of the previous injections.

My best advice now to others in my situation is to have the operation sooner rather than later but have a realistic talk with the surgeon about recovery times and if any physio will be required after the plaster comes off. i still find swimming painful when I kick my foot out with water resistance, but others have said it was really beneficial to them. Then as I said its stuff like - how am I going to get to my follow up and plaster renewal appointments as I won't be driving - bus, taxi, does my hospital have any facility to collect me or will a family member/friend help? Getting groceries whilst on crutches; getting to the loo and being able to wash - I got a leg bag and this sealed my plaster making it airtight so I could get into the shower, otherwise it was wash my hair in the kitchen sink. being able to make a hot drink and cook a basic meal etc and will the hospital even let you go home the first night - I spent the 1st night in hospital then had to see the physio to talk through and stand up with help - once I had shown I could get up and walk with my walking aids and was shown how to do so correctly.

If you go through with your op, I hope it all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.