Dismissive Consultant - GERD

Posted , 2 users are following.

ive been having acid reflux everyday from July. had severe pain in neck, assessed by ENT in August and they told could see the acid back of throat, said ask my consultant who id been seeing for IBS about an endoscopy.

I told my consultant all this in Sept on phonecall consultation, he put me on a higher dose of esomeprazole. He called me again in Nov and I asked about the endoscopy he said he would do it but he was sure it wouldnt show anything and told me i have 'sensitive stomach' even with him knowing i had a provisional diagnosis of hiatus hernia in 2016.

the last 4 weeks ive been having severe stomach hunger pains but im not hungry, they wake me up at night.my gp reckoned it was gastritis but the esomeprazole didnt help it so told me to call my consultant. i called him and he again referred it to my 'sensitive stomach' said there was nothing more he could do, i asked when my endoscopy was going to happen as im still waiting on appointment and he said he would look into it. I feel he is very dismissive and quick to say ive sensitive stomach and is not interested in investigating. im fed up of having this acid everyday and now these extra hunger pains. ive changed my diet, exercise well, head elevated etc but nothing helps!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, you might find this surprising but I believe it can be anxiety related / induced or muscle spasm / nerves related as well. I have had this very same symptoms often, even very acidic taste in my mouth but usually only when I think I have them and I focus on them for a little while. Try to break out of it and see if its correlated in any way to your mood, notice if you feel it more when you might think you're having them, or when your mood is down (especially if you are generally worried about it and you know the symptoms that people feel normally). You probably don't have this when your mood is up or when you do something that gives you positive emotions. I often try to fight it with my brain by forcing myself to believe that I don't have anything and that I am making it up and in a couple of seconds the symptoms go away fully, or I try to redirect the pain and imagine I am feeling it somewhere else in the body. This made the symtoms and pain go away completely as it seems that your brain is inducing either muscles spasms in muscles or it triggers the nerves around that side of your body that produces the sensation of pain. So notice if that makes it go way, if it its that then its anxiety related, I know it feels very real but there's actual studies that show how you body becomes more sensitive (mentally) and then gives you these sensations or triggers some of the nerves/ muscles that make you feel this way. But please do the necessary medical investigations either way, even for your piece of mind! Please try it, its been quite a revelation for me! All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.