Dispersible Aspirin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking dispersible (soluble) aspirin - 3 x 2 of 300mg each, daily- for osteo-arthritic hip pain and torn knee ligament pain for some 4-5 years. I have always allowed the dispersible aspirin to almost completely dissolve in my mouth before swallowing it with some water/tea/coffee or JUST DRY. I think this is known as "BUCCAL administration - ie held within cheek, and, except for injection, is the fastest way to get a drug into the blood stream. Perhaps inhalation is also fast?

I have NEVER had any aches or pains in my stomach - nor have I ever in that time passed water in my motions, from this practice. And of course my pains have been alleviated.

Please write in if you have had a similar usage and harmless experience.

My point is that I cannot find any review/discussion of such a usage AND DOCTORS are adamant against such a practice - they refuse - to-date- to prescribe it. One said that "You'll have to buy it yourself"!

Why should I have to do that when I read that 3g daily in divided doses is recommended for osteo or rheumatoid arthritis?

Fortunately I can buy very cheaply from many stores, eg Savers Health & Beauty at 25/30p for 16 - but that should not be the point - I need about 180-200 tablets - no big deal, about £3.00 - doctors have prescribed me the 75mg tablet for my heart, even without my asking for it - and it is very very doubtful that that is any use at all - its certainly controversial.

Before 'attacking' doctors with firm requests it would be helpful to produce some serious research data/review to show them which which shows/states the advantage of "BUCCAL" taking of dispersible aspirin over swallowing.

I would be grateful for help in this direction. Best, K1.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Apologies - mistake - "passed water", should read "passed blood"

Sorry about that - Best, K1

• Posted

Hello kabonas1,

I think the reason why your doctor is against prescribing aspirin for your pain is due to the risk of bleeding. Aspirin has lost favour in the way of a pain killer due to this. And the dose you are taking does seem very high.

• Posted

Agreed. I also think that we should do our own research on medications, and get views of others that are taking or have taken the medications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.