Displacement or not?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my 5th metatarsal base fracture 2 weeks ago, now in cast and don’t feel pain at all while putting weight on heels or the whole foot. Is it a sign that it’s healing? Is it a sign that the fracture isn’t dislocated? I just get slight skin irritation near ankle sometimes maybe that’s due to the cast

Looking forward to replies before my appointment with dr. this Monday 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

Didn’t have any pain with the cast at all 

After 2 weeks I started noticing pain in my toes ( wiggle and move u toes ) at the point I wasn’t able to sleep well . Went to dr X-ray ... no healing look same , no more cast cuz I’m very bony so I got sore in my ankle and calf . I got the boot for 2 more weeks 🤨4 weeks now go to dr X-ray ... no healing still same so she sent me for bloodwork 😐I’m very deficient in vitamin d and calcium, she prescribed me Ergocal  50000 d2 a week , 2000mg of calcium , 5000 mg of d3 ... tons of orange juice, milk , veggies , water tons of healthy food 🥘. No sodas , coffee , smoke 💨 or alcohol ( I don’t drink or smoke ) at this point I was very upset cuz she told 6 weeks so I’m passing 4 still same . She said well next option is surgery if you want it will take 6 weeks to heal after surgery. I told her yes so may 23 I was going for surgery but the 22nd when I went to X-ray my foot she told is looking much better ( no surgery) 

Today I’m exactly 7 weeks after I stepped in a stone or rock ... 7 long weeks hoping by the 14 of June this bone looks much much better . 

My dr goes by the X-ray not by u toes or u ankle or nothing cuz I had a lot concerns about these and she just looked at the X-ray and say they are just fine . So I don’t ask anymore 

Hopefully for u is different and u are healing way faster than me ,

🤞🏻

• Posted

Hi

I almost had same experience. Fell on 18th May,had a painful night. Started walking the next five days with bearable pain. Went to dr. On 23rd May, got a plaster cast on 23rd May. Then yesterday had an X Ray which will be revealed to me on Monday, the 4th of June. I can bear weight with no pain at the moment, and slight discomfort.. I hope that u heal fast too. !! I’m just praying that my foot doesn’t dislocate. I don’t have a deficiency of anything, I’ve started drinking milk since past 5 days and also I’m fasting almost daily due to Ramadan as I’m a Muslim. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!! I wish you fast recovery too!! 

• Posted

Bones take 6 weeks to heal however usually show signs of healing in 4.

The area of these 5th fractures are difficult because of low blood supply which is why bone stimulators are advantageous. I believe you are young so will heal quickly👍🏻👌

• Posted

Thanks for the reply smile 

It’s helpful to know the information youve provided. What about having no pain? Is it a good or a bad sign especially when it comes to questioning about bone displacement?

• Posted

You have a cast is that correct? I would think for a non displaced fracture in a cast that your pain level would be minimal. Most docs here in US have patients non weight bearing for 4 to 6 weeks then in a walking boot another 4. So I have no clue about your exact fracture. I was also told absolutely no heel walking because it continues to separate the bone and inhibit healing. But again, not quite sure of your injury

• Posted

Hi 

Thanks so much for your reply.

I’m so excited to inform you that my cast has been removed and have been replaced with an Air Cast boot. I don’t feel pain at the metatarsal bone (maybe 2-3% mild pain while walking) but ankle hurts a tiny bit with stinging as I walk... is it normal after a cast getting removed?? Also, I’ll be able to wear my normal shoes from 27th June onwards which excites me more.. 

• Posted

Hi 

I’m glad you are feeling much better 😀

I started walking with/out boot . It feels much much better every day !!!

I don’t have pain in my ankle but I feel my foot tight . Dr told me if I feel pain in my ankle , toes is normal .

Finally I can say I’m recovering!!! 

Back to tennis 👟 the 18th 

I’m taking it very slow I’m walking and resting & massaging my foot , ankle and toes every 2 hours .

Wish best !!!

• Posted

That’s awesome to hear that u r returning to Tennis!!

All the best!!

Thanks for your helpful reply. If I walk without boot, I feel a little bearable pain at the sight of fracture.. do u think it’s normal?  

• Posted

Yes , I felt pain in the fractured area for couple days now is going away , if u try to walk without the boot be very gentle and step by step 😀I used the crutches for 2 days to get my balance back . I started walking in my kitchen side to side very short trips I can’t do it on carpet or nothing soft I just can’t yet I’m scared 😱 

That’s is why we are wearing the boot 😊 

Every day it feels much better but I’m not walking outside without the boot .

• Posted

That’s awesome!!!

All the best with the rest of the recovery. I’ve started attending my classes and each day seems a new beginning!! 

Thanks for your helpful reply !! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.