Dissociative Identity Disorder formerly know as Mulitple Personality Disorder

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anybody out there with D.I.D.?  I have a question about fusion, it has not happened yet in me but, my pastor believes that when a person with D.I.D.  fuses then the alters, the destructive alters, those alters that want to harm, will die, and my therapist says no those alters don't die. My therapists says those alters are not bad or harmful they hold some of the anger from the abuse and they are in pain. Thank You MK5460

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

sorry i dont know anything about D.I.D have you tried to Google as i use that for everything 
  • Posted

I feel your therapist is best knowledgeable person.

The paster is not knowledgeable of mental health issues.

Sadly a lot of people read into the bible as to what they think it says but sadly they,are wrong. Xx

• Posted

well, I do have Jesus in my life, Praise God, He did lead me to this pastor because this pastor does have experience with D.I.D. alters, I was just wondering about fusion and what that means when it eventually happens with me and my alters. My pastor has been wonderful, I just don't have all the information on this particular part of the healing process and was wondering about any addition info
  • Posted

I keep writing to you  but they keep deleting my reply????????????
  • Posted

MK5460                                   Let talk but your DX
  • Posted

Hi MK5460 - I realise it's been over a year since you posted your question, so I hope my reply is helpful.  

I have a Christian faith, and have also practiced as a trauma counsellor with those with severe dissociative symptoms, including experiences with various unintegrated parts of their personality.  It is completely understandable that someone who has experienced abuse would have parts of their personality that aren't yet integrated, that are destructive and want to harm them.  Unfortunately, it is a natural consequence of the mechanics of abuse - the abuser, in order to maintain control over their victim, treats the victim as though they are in fact a perpetrator.  This places the unintegrated part of the victim in a double bind - and they have nowhere safe to turn to work out this double bind - so they turn on themselves.  

Whilst I believe in the existence of demons, there is a very big difference between demons and the unintegrated destructive parts of a traumatised person.  It can be very dangerous to treat those parts of a person as though they need to 'die' - as this can retraumatise those parts of that person, and send them further into hiding/turning against the rest of the self.  

Unfortunately, due to a lack of understanding of the personality fragmentation that can occur in the wake of trauma, and confusion with the concept of demonic possession/oppression, well-meaning Christians (who may or may not be qualified) can retraumatise and cause a great deal of harm to these alters, who truly believe that they are about to be killed.  Imagine if you knew someone wanted to kill you.  Would you want to approach that person to receive healing?  If the answer is 'no, I'd run the other way in terror and would never want that person to find me again', then you know how a destructive part of you would feel.  Because they are part of you - and although they may 'act' like a powerful part of you, they are in fact often a part of you that began in childhood, and therefore has a child's level of development and ability to understand the world around them.  I hope you are able to continue to build trust with your therapist - it sounds like he/she is on the right track with the perspective that those alters hold anger and are in pain.  Those alters will likely fight hard to hold onto the belief that they are bad/harmful, in order to keep anyone away who might want to get close.  But I encourage you to persist with patience and continuing to provide those parts of you with opportunities to heal, and not be further harmed or terrified.

There is a great book called 'Restoring the Shattered Self: A Christian Counsellor's Guide to Complex Trauma' written by a well qualified and experienced Christian therapist, by the name of Heather Davediuk Gingrich.  Your therapist or Christian counsellor may find it helpful - it includes a section on how the church can respond helpfully to people experiencing severe dissociative symptoms and fragmented, unintegrated parts of their personality.

Take care - I wish all parts of you the best in your healing journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.