Dissolvable stitches

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone know how long it takes for internal dissolvable stitches to go. I can feel a small lump at the top of my scar, my consultant says it is a knot where they tie off the internal stitches. If it hasn't gone in Six weeks he will remove under a local anaesthetic. I am massaging it and really hoping it will dissolve as don't really want to have another scar.

has anyone any experience of this 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I hope it devolves in time . All three of my THR I have had no issues with the stitches.

not that I have three legs Had two THR and one revision started out early in my  Four- ties with OA. 

give it time to heal takes about 6 months or more. The scar usually disappears after a few years. The surgeons have great techniques closing incisions. This last revision they used a system that palaces a negative vacuum over the wound using a batterY operated pocket box with a tube attached to the dressing. After 2 weeks the bandage and strips were removed and I could hardly  see the incision. It was the revision the doc went in the old incision bilateral.

the wonders of new devices to help heal incision with less scar tissue.

we hippies have a lot to share and many more on this forum to help you out too!

Prace & Healing sent your way.

Hope 🌞xxx

• Posted

It will but take time . Im nearly 6 months and now is scar is OK no lump.

Hug Madla

• Posted

hi michelle, 

I am sorry I can't help  you here because I had staples - You have posted about your scar concern before, right ? was this "knot" the problem?

Keep massaging the spot and perhaps give it a little more time ... Hopefully it will dissolve as it is supposed to do rolleyes

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, no the scar issue I posted early is a lot better now.. I had a clinical massage at the physics. This really loosened up the tissue and fascia around the site of the scar..my issue with the knot is underneath the skin at top of scar. This is where the internal dissolvable stitches were tied off before the outer scar was closed... I was glued...still hoping it will dissolve without my consultant giving me a local anaesthetic and cutting it out.... argh.. had enough already really.

was just hoping someone else had had this problem and it resolved itself.

thanks for reply 

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I had dissolvable stitches.  It's been 8 months now so its hard for me to pin point the exact week when the lumps finally went away.  I can tell you that it was after the six week mark though.  Everyone heals differently, so I would wait until 12 weeks before you make a decision to get it removed. 

I remember being told to massage the scar each day.  I used Vitamin E oil and had great results.  The deep massages will help to break up the stitches and scar tissue.

Best wishessmile

• Posted

Michelle:

You have a hematoma. I had the same thing although bigger. It went away on its own in about 2-3 weeks. It occurs from leakage from the interior suture (around the joint capsule,dissovlable stitches). There shouldn't be any reason to reopen the wound to take sutures out that are dissovalble. There won't be anything there to take out...

• Posted

I had a little lump also right at the end of my scar, disolvable stitches or so I was told.

At about 6 weeks it eventually felt like a stiff piece of linen thread sticking out of my skin just a fraction. 

Went to my regular GP, he looked at it through his magnifing lens, and said i will see what happens here, and gave it a little tug, it came away, only just under the skin by about 1mm, held it up and said there it is.

I questioned what about disolveable stitches, he shrugged his shoulders, didn't really know why it had happened.

• Posted

Hi Lynn thanks for reply... I will see what happens, bearing in mind what you have said.I keep massaging it in the hope it might go but watch this space .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.