Dissolvable stitches and scar question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

so I'm 4.5 weeks post op after laparoscopy to remove 10cm dermoid cyst.

2 infections later my scars are still quite fresh and still have the scabs on and visible stitches in 3 of my scars.

how long do dissolvable stitches take to disappear, surely they should be gone by now?

how long did people's scars take to get past the red and scab stage?

im nervous that I'm not healing properly and unsure if the infection has gone as one of the smaller scars has become quite red and slightly sore to touch.

to explain further I had to stop my last lot of antibiotics mid course on docs advice as the side effects were terrible; stabbing stomach pains, very upset tummy, chills and feeling sick.

just wanted to see how long you guys took to heal?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hey Gemz,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. Strange that you still have visible stiches and are not healing properly. I had a Lap too and I was healed in about 2 weeks. That said, everyone heals differently, but  I think you should consult with your doctor again. Or change docs, if possible.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Lorena

• Posted

Thanks Lorena, I've been to the docs so many times feel like I am being a pain ( not that that make me think that). I was told 2 week recovery and am a bit concerned.

Will see doc Monday again as it's too late to get an appointment today now.

• Posted

My consultant said 1 to 2 wks recovery but a different consultant who saw me after the op said usually 4 to 6 and one of her team said 6 to 8, GP reckons at least 4, took friend of hers 12, but said that was very unusual.
    • Posted

Wish I had been made aware of the real recovery time before the op tbh. The hospital were very good but gave me no ideas on dissolving stitches timeframe before I left etc x
  • Posted

I'm nearly 4wks, three infections. Stitch, scar and scab wise same as you. Saw GP today says healing fine but slow.

Like you I was nervous which is why saw her. Put my mind at rest and she did not mind. Maybe you need to do the same/

• Posted

Thanks Taz, I think I will see the doc again, last time I see her she did say I'm not looking like I'm over 3weeks post op looking at my scars.

will keep you updated and sorry to hear your having a rough time too, I've been off worn again this week and can't afford yo catty on having so much time off sad X

• Posted

My GP said they are well used to seeing post-op patients who are concerned about healing among other things and would rather see 100 patients that are OK than miss the 1 who isn't. Add to that as my GP said you know yourself and if least bit concerned see me, you are either right or I can reassure you.
    • Posted

Yeh that's true, my go is lovely but works part time so it's so difficult to get an appointment with her and wouldn't wanna ne wasting her time but you are right best to be safe than sorry x
    • Posted

So I've been back to my GP, infection had gone by looks of it but now got cream to try and help me heal fully. Stitches removed by nurse and there were a lot in all of the wounds, omg the pain having them removed was unbareable! This was by far the worst pain so far even the nurse said it was gonna be extra psi fun given time and lack of healing. So I've got dressing on my largest wound again for three days n cream to apply three times a day to the wounds. Fingers crossed I'm on the road to recovery but I am now very sore from being pulled about again.

attempt 2 at returning to work again tomorrow...........

• Posted

Hope goes better from now on. I'm still much as was but GP watching and waiting for now
  • Posted

Hi Gem hope you are on the mend now, I've just had a large dermoid cyst removed too, does anyone know how long it takes for the internal stitches to heal? Have you been told?

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I think they said about a week for the stitches to dissolve but I ended up having to have the my ones removed by the nurse as they were not even starting to disappear. Looking back I think I over did it as I had a couple of issues healing so please even if you feel like you are ok just rest up or you will delay the recovery.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.