Distal Humerus Fracture Patient

Posted , 1 user is following.

Before reading this i warn you that there will be a lot of information, a lot of ranting, and probably a lot of grammatical errors!

So, in the end of November 2018 i broke my arm. I ended up having surgery 3 days later. The procedure was known as a Open Reduction Internal Fixation in which they reduced and reshaped the broken bones and then implanted a metal plate.

I was expecting to start physio a long time ago but only started at the end of March which is 3 months after my operation. Despite my doctor knowing that physio should come soon after and if it doesnt then then arm wont straighten and require another operation, he still neglected me and kept me waiting.

now that i have started physio i am able to straighten my arm a little further and have got it from 90 to about 35 degrees in terms of the angle of the elbow. My physio recently gave me the all clear to go back to the gym to do more stretches and lightweight exercises.

Will my arm continue to get straighter or has it been too long of a time and now my arm is stuck between 90 degrees and fully extended??

I understand i would have to have another operation in which theyll cut into the tendons of the muscles around the affected area. if this was the case how would this affect me in terms of gaining muscle mass and having muscular strength in my arm?

thanks for reading and for any help you can provide

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.