Distal radius fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I fell and broke my right distal radius in 3 places, Colles Fracture.  The A&E team were brilliant and did a closed reduction.  1 week later XRay showed it was still in place and a full cast was put on.  5 weeks after that at my orthopaedic appointment the cast was removed with no further x rays and only simple observation of my wrist and hand.  It was agreed that I would need physiotherapy and have been referrred.  The consultant said no to sling's or any further wrist support and to take medication for the pain but wanted me to use it as much as possible.  He did say that physio or my GP would refer me back if I need be. 

Though its only the next day, the pain is really nasty and I really want to put it in a sling for a bit of respite.  I'm trying to use it but very basic tasks are proving difficult. 

Does anyone have a similar experience or can advise of any steps to recovery.  How long it might take to get through the pain and to improve mobility?

Any advice or comments will be gratefully received. 

Many thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, if you can find my earlier comments on this page you may well find them useful! I broke both my ulna and radius with multiple displaced comminuted fracture. I too had a closed reduction in a&e and then had that weekly for 6 weeks! Yes it was hideous. I'm now 5 months down the line, things are still restrictive, it's a case of two steps forward one back. How you've explained your wrist feels and the advise you've been given sounds exactly right to me in relevance to what I was also told. It is best to get it moving and manage the pain though medication. It's the pain that will restrict you but you injury is healed it is the stiffness of all the bits around it that is causing you the pain. The sooner you get it moving the easier it will be. Putting it in warm water at the start of the day and stretching the muscles I find sets you up for the best possible movement throughout the day. Also icing it at night when it feels aggravated and sore. If you need respite, have it. Sit with it on a pillow and just take small steps. It does and will improve, it is early days for you!! Hope this helps.

Elaine.

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Thank you so much thats a great help.  It's really reassuring to know that this is the expected and right way to progress.  I will try the warm water in the morning and ice in the evening, that even sounds comforting.  As you say its early days and there is light at the end of the tunnel smile

Many thanks, kind regards, Julie

• Posted

Hi Julie, I recommend what elaine said, warm water soaking will get you through the day or invest in a old remedy hot water bottle, or heating pad for 20-25 minutes 3-4 times a day along with your pain medicine and, then the ice at night to numb it and you may sleep better at night.  Good luck in your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.