Distal Radius Fracture - weird feeling in wrist!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - I fractured my right wrist at the beginning of April and had my cast removed just over five weeks ago. 

Since having my cast removed I am experiencing swelling in my fingers and in my wrist which my physio said is perfectly normal. Whilst I accept this another symptom which is annoying my is a feeling of fullness in the side of my wrist nearest the ulna (not the bone that I broke) which makes can only describe as feeling numb inside! I can feel a light touch in my skin in this area but it feels weird and numb inside!

I have numbness in my fingers which is slowly receding - my consultant seems to think that this is pressure on my median nerve but would this also be causing this weird feelings by at the side of my wrist? This area is also slightly swollen and squidgy!

I also had the bone manipulated back into place so could there be some injury from this procedure?

Also, this weird feeling varies in severity throughout the day - any thoughts?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Same problem here but no physician has been able to pinpoint it. Pain & swelling in forearms & wrists. Gets worse as time goes on. Been to GP, rheumatologist & orthopedist. No resolution, no help. Very much in pain for 10 weeks, 22 weeks post operation. I hope you don’t experience the same. Going to an acupuncturist tomorrow & a brain spine Doc on Tuesday. Can’t live like this anymore. 

• Posted

So sorry to hear what you are going through- it’s really frustrating when no one can give you any answers.

My wrist feels very tight at the moment but my physio says that I am doing well but I don’t feel as if I am. Fortunately I am not in any constant pain but my fingers are stiff and achy in the mornings.

I have been chatting to a few different people on this forum and they have all said that it will take time to heal and to be patient but unfortunately I do not have much patience! I seem to be having good days and bad days at the moment where I feel as if I am making progress but then another symptom arises!

I have physio next week and an appointment the following week with my orthopaedic consultant so I will discuss my concerns then.

Let me know if you find some relief with acupuncture. Please feel free to send a message to my inbox if you would like to vent your frustration at any time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.