Distance Monofocal IOLs, daily life?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I would really appreciate if people with monofocal IOLs set for distance can comment on WHEN they actually put on glasses during the day and for what. Do you regret getting both eyes at distance or are you happy? (I am not interested in mono vision.)

What I would like to know for instance ( DISTANCE IOLs):

1. Can you read the time on your watch without putting on glasses?
  2. Can you grab your phone at night and see who is calling or even read a message without putting on glasses?
  3. Can you shave without glasses?
  4. Can you read a menu in daytime at arm's length?
  5. Can you play golf or tennis without glasses?

Your answers will be appreciated.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Edited

l'm in the same boat as you, l need surgery in a year and thinking of mono focal distance lens but worried how it will affect my daily life for when l dont have glasses. Out of interest why dont you want mulitfocal lens then you wont need glasses. WHat about extended depth of vision lens like the sympathy lens that gives you more closer vision but without as much side effects as multifocal

• Posted

Hey John.

I would consider an EDOF iol but it would have to be something like the Eyhance where there is no loss of contrast.

I just want to be able to at least see the time on my watch. Maybe setting both eyes at -0.5D would be the best compromise.

• Posted

Is it fair to say that the Eyhance has "no loss of contrast"? Or just a slight loss?

• Edited

I do not have monofocal lenses. I opted on 2017 for symfony lenses. I can do all those things without glasses. There is the trade off of night vision as I see multiple concentric rings (like a spider web) around certain lights at night. The circles get smaller as you approach light source (like red traffic light - till they disappear as you get closer.

All replies will be specific to each person. Some eyes see much closer (even if IOLs are monofocal set for distance). Some speculate it us pupil size - but really not sure any surgeon can tell you in advance. There is slso on how well power of IOL is calculated to your needs and the fact IOLs come in increments of .50 diopters vs glasses that have increments of .25.

There is no immediate drop off - there will be a point where vision gets slightly blurrier and continue to get blurrier.

If you prefer not to use mini monovision approach you can always use a magnified mirror for putting on makeup or shaving. Those really close up tasks will be where you definitely need glasses.

• Edited

So for people who dont want the side effects of multifocal lens but still want some basic near vision would recommend sympathy EDOF lens, Is the only side effect of sympathy rings at night, are there no side effects during the day? is the vision contrast and vision quality and sharpness of the sympathy lens just as good as monofocal distance. l dont drive or go out much at night , so l am thinking of sympathy rather then monofocal distance so l wont be so reliant on glasses, but l only want sympathy if the contrast as vision quality during the day is a good as monofocal lens

• Posted

All diffractive IOL including EDOF IOLs will have the contrast sensitivity loss over a monofocal. Even the Vivity which is supposed to be a refractive IOL that offer the minimum amount of EDOF has contrast sensitivity loss.

Whether the amount of CS loss will bother you or not is up to each individual.

• Posted

John - yes the compromise of Symfony are the concentric rings you see at night around various lights. IE traffic lights, LED porch lights cars when brakes applied. I do not have a monofocal lens so cannot compare day vision but I have no issues during say or well lit room at all. One has to be a certain distance from light source to see the concentric circles so I do not see them inside my house. There is a loss of contrast in dimly lit rooms - a couple of times dining out in upscale restaurant have had to use flashlight on iphone to read menu.

• Posted

I am only half way through the two eye cataract process. My first eye was done with a monofocal IOL set for distance. I ended up at 0.0 D spherical for refraction, and have good 20/20 distance vision, despite some residual astigmatism (-0.75).

With this eye reading my watch is a little difficult. Reading my iPhone 8+ is also difficult. I would have to hold it at arms length and the text gets kind of small to read. Shaving probably would not be an issue, but since I am near sighted and my other eye gives me close vision I don't really have experience. Depending on the menu it could be difficult to read in daylight, and impossible in a dim restaurant. Have not played tennis or golf with it yet. I would expect it to be fine. I have no problem reading my dash instruments in my vehicles. And, in general I can see fairly well down to about 20". However, based on others here reporting their experience that seems to be closer than average. I suspect my residual astigmatism gives me a little closer vision. I think the trick to getting the best close vision while maintaining distance vision is to not go into the + side of your residual refraction. The normal target is -0.25 D. But it is much better to be -0.5 D than to be +0.25 D.

Keep in mind you do not have to make the total decision on both eyes at the same time. It is fine and recommended to have at least 6 weeks between eyes. That gives you first eye a chance to heal and you know the refractive outcome. Then you can make a decision on the second eye. This interval also gives you an opportunity to do a trial run of monovision with a contact lens in the non operated eye. The normal practice is to do a distance set monofocal in the dominant eye first, and do the monovision trial with target myopia of -1.25 to -1.50 D in the non dominant eye. This requires of course that your vision in that eye is good enough to evaluate it. Then if you like what you get, you can go that way with the non dominant eye using an IOL. If you don't like it, then you can still get a distance set monofocal in the second eye. My thoughts are to not dismiss monovision until you have given it a trial run. I love it compared to always looking for my readers.

• Posted

Hey Ron.

What level of difficulty is it reading your watch with only your IOL eye? If I had to set both eyes at -0.5D, do you think going for a run it would be possible to read the stats on my digital Garmin watch without glasses?

• Posted

My watch is an old style Casio LCD and is not the easiest to read. Because you have to crank your arm/wrist in to look at it square on it would not be easy to read with my distance IOL eye. It is easier to read my iPhone 8+ with the IOL eye because I can hold it square to my line of vision further away. But even then it is not easy to read. It is like the old story, "my vision is excellent, it's just that my arms are too short". Keep in mind that my vision down to 20 inches or so seems to be somewhat unusual for a distance set monofocal. Some have difficult under 3 feet. You don't know what you will have for sure until the eye is done.

Targeting -0.5 D would help some with reading, but you have to keep in mind that IOL lenses come in steps of 0.5 D for power, not 0.25 D like contacts or eyeglasses. And on top of that calculating the required power is no slam dunk either. I have seen studies that shows the chances of being within +/- 0.5 D is only 70%. So your target of -0.5 D could give you an actual outcome in the range of -1.0 D to 0.0 D.

The usual plan for doing monofocal IOLs is to do the dominant eye first with a target of -0.25 D, or a range of -0.5D to -0.25 D. Then wait 6 week to measure what you actually got. At that point make a plan for the second eye. It is not necessary to match the eyes for residual refraction. You certainly can target more myopia with the second non dominant eye. With a monofocal I would not go for less than -1.0 D though. The Eyhance or Vivity is another option for the second eye. They can be set for some myopia as well. To achieve the same closer vision the Eyhance would have to be set for more myopia than the Vivity. Both will have some loss of contrast sensitivity but the Eyhance less. But, keep in mind if you get a good distance outcome with your dominant eye, it will have excellent contrast sensitivity, better than either the Eyhance or Vivity, and the dominant eye can make up for that loss.

• Edited

Hello,

Like @Sue.An2, I went the premium lens route with one Symfony (about 3 weeks ago) and one Synergy (6 days ago). I cannot really claim that I chose this combination as it was chosen for me by my surgeon and I decided to trust him given his stellar reputation in the academic community and in my local area as a surgeon. My guess, and many say this online, it comes down to what you are used to. Because I had a large cataract in one eye and a moderate one in the other, simply working on my computer had become quite bothersome and somewhat impossible. So, by the time I saw an ophthalmologist, my sight had degraded quite terribly - and it happened fast. First, I started noticing last summer when walking that there was a haze over everything, then driving at night became an issue and then working on my computer became an issue - all within 5-6 months. I really did not notice how much vision I had lost until I saw the ophthalmologist and I could not see the big E on the chart with my glasses on. I wore progressive glasses with a -4.00 in each eye, and sometimes a multi-focal J&J lens (-4.00 with med reading in left eye and -4.00 with low in right). I had to wear readers on top of the lenses because the multi-focal lenses are set to just low, med and high so that wasn't quite right!

I am giving you the back story so that I can now tell you about my experience. Having the Symfony/Synergy combo I can see well at all distances - can easily read my iPhone on the factory setting, can easily and clearly see my Apple watch, am now typing on a MacBook Air without any glasses and can see clearly (standard screen text size), can see my regular monitor for work with text at a standard size (not magnified like before), can see street signs, license plates and very importantly (ha ha) leaves on trees. I don't feel like I've lost contrast, but gained so much else. However, the reason for the backstory is to highlight that my sight was not great to begin with and so now I am probably in some sort of honeymoon bubble with my new lenses. Night driving is an issue! There is a lot of glare with headlights, but I went out last night with hubby and it's manageable. I will only drive known and short distances for now. Finally, these were expensive. Even with great insurance, I still had to pay around $10K overall for both eyes. The surgeon used laser which added cost. The best advice I got on this forum was to seek out a good surgeon (thanks to @rwbil, @RonAKA, @Sue.An2) and that is what I did. I was overwhelmed with all of the information and had to make a decision quite quickly as my sight was deteriorating quickly with a fast-growing form of cataract. I am in my late 40s work a lot and had a limited time window to get this done (over Christmas break as I am a Professor). If I had more time to consider everything, I don't know if I would have made a different decision. There is lots of great advice on here. In the end, though, I just found the best possible surgeon and decided to trust him. There is a lot of scepticism online about trusting surgeons as they are out to make money and will try to sell you premium lenses when you don't need them. If you are in the US, this is most certainly true. I therefore took @rwbil's advice and looked for one who researches and publishes on this topic. He also teaches at a local medical university. I had to believe that he has some ethics and would not recommend something for me that he did not believe would perform well. So, my advice is to start by searching for the right surgeon, maybe see a couple and go by their recommendations if you feel comfortable. All the best to you 😃

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer.

I have seen 2 top Ophthalmologists on separate occasions before I moved to Dubai, and both after hearing my vision requirements immediately stated that only Monofocals will work for me. Apparently the clarity is way superior compared to Multi focals.

Think I should ask this exact question in a new tread, to determine how much better, there must be people on here that has one Mono and one Multi.

I am currently In Dubai. not sure how to go about finding the best surgeon here.

• Edited

HI @peterfox,

Okay - sounds like you have a good idea then of what is right for you. From what I understand, everyone's brain is different. So, some will say they can read a bit closer than others with monos, etc. Therefore, even if you get some great answers to your questions, your outcome could be quite different.

There is also getting the mini-mono where one eye is set for 100% distance and the other is set a bit less so that you can see closer. You can ask your surgeon about this. @RonAKA has an excellent understanding of this option and can tell you more about it if he has not already.

With regard to the good surgeons in Dubai, that's not so easy to answer. You could look at Google by searching 'cataract surgeon Dubai' and then filter on 4.5 stars and above. Read the reviews (start at 5 and work downward) and then if someone looks interesting, make an appointment. Also, as the surgery takes a limited amount of recovery time, if you don't find someone great, you could potentially combine it with a holiday and have it done somewhere within a reasonable flight. I am sure Dubai has some good ones, however, as the UAE is terrific country.

Good luck to you.

• Edited

I really appreciate this thread as I'm contemplating the same thing. I just had a monofocal lens put in my left eye and love that I can now see clearly at 20/20 in that eye. I would like to do the same with my right eye and will need to use reading glasses or contacts (or progressive contacts) for reading. I decided not to go with multifocal IOL because of the side effects I've read about. Anyone here opt for distance monofocal IOL in both eyes? How do you take care of reading or computer work? Is it convenient?

If I choose monovision correction (farsighted in left eye, and nearsighted in right eye which is dominant), would I miss the stereoscopic distance view and would I be able to compensate for this with a far-sighted or progressive contact lens?

I would like to take the family to Disneyland, look at roller coasters in the distance than quickly glance at a map to figure out how to get there.

Thanks for your perspectives!

• Posted

People that do a distance monofocal in both eyes can just use off the shelf readers for close vision. The down side of that is that you have to carry glasses around and put them on any time you need to read something closer.

The other option is to get progressive prescription glasses. The advantage of that is if there is any residual spherical or cylinder error in your eyes that can be corrected, along with having the progressive part of the lens for reading.

You don't really lose much for stereoscopic distance view. I have one eye with an IOL set for distance now, and simulate monovision (-1.25 D) by using a contact. My plan is to do similar with an IOL in the second eye but with a little more monovision (-1.5 D). The advantage of this arrangement is that you can look close and far without having to put on glasses and take them off. The best part of it is that if you have decent vision in your second eye you can simulate it with contact lenses before you do it for real with an IOL.

• Posted

Thanks, RonAKA!

I will likely get the progressive prescription glasses as I'm already comfortable wearing glasses. My guess is that progressive contacts could also be used, is that right?

I like the idea of simulating monovision with a contact lens. I'll have to ask the ophthalmologist about that. Would it be too much of an issue that my non-dominant eye is the one with the distance IOL?

I appreciate your response!

Mark

• Posted

I don't have experience with MF contacts, so I can't comment on how effective they are. I am using a contact now, but I don't consider them to be a long term solution, and I really hope to be contact and eyeglass free after I get my second eye done.

I have my non-dominant eye corrected for distance, and I am simulating about -1.25 D in my dominant eye for close vision with a contact. This is called crossed monovision. It works well, but I suspect it might work a little better with the dominant eye being the distance eye. Up close I have no problem, and in the distance everything is fine. But, there are some distances around 20-30 feet where my distance eye has the sharper vision, but I feel both eyes battle over which image they want to show me. The best way is to just try it using contacts with a differing amount of power to see what you like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.